Greek Gyros

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
gnol

Re: Greek Gyros

Post by gnol »

M&E, I cant help out with temp as I have always cooked it over an open fire. I just slice a bit off every now and then.
I have never brined it either. I can't see why not though. Let us know how it goes.
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Thanks gnol. :)

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

The salt in the marinate (Liquid) will brine it anyway.
I made about 1.5-2 lites and added 40g salt, was plenty tasty.
Loved it Gnol, will be doing it often now :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
gnol

Post by gnol »

I've uploaded a short vid of it cooking on youtube if any one is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqc_3GzdRvM
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

gnol wrote:I've uploaded a short vid of it cooking on youtube if any one is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqc_3GzdRvM
Thanks gnol, that vid really looks awesome, thanks.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Thanks for the great recipe gnol,

did this on the weekend and it was absoultely terrific. Used Lamb Leg chops instead of shoulder as I had planned to do it for just three of us with some leftovers for lunch.

Finished meat was cut up a little too thick because I was hungry and in a rush.

Put it in wraps with tatziki, lettuce and taboulie and gave them a crisp up in the sandwich toaster. No leftovers, eldest son had a couple of his mates over for the night and they can eat like there is no tomorrow.

Have to do it again now. Thanks
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Nice, Its a special dish allright.
And to think its "Just something that Gnol does" :lol:

Up there with the bloody best is what it is :twisted:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

And to think its "Just something that Gnol does" :lol:

Need to get some of his "Special" recipes if this is just standard fare.

Got to love how multicultural Australia has become in regard to food. Was forced to go to Parramatta for work recently and in a week had Northern Chinese, Thia, Korean, Turkish and Vietnamese. Hard to take and way better than stodgy old bistro food.

This forum reflects that multicuturalism well, maybe there should be a different nationality thread every month. Bound to get some great ideas from something like that.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Angryman65 wrote:And to think its "Just something that Gnol does" :lol:

Need to get some of his "Special" recipes if this is just standard fare.

Got to love how multicultural Australia has become in regard to food. Was forced to go to Parramatta for work recently and in a week had Northern Chinese, Thia, Korean, Turkish and Vietnamese. Hard to take and way better than stodgy old bistro food.

This forum reflects that multicuturalism well, maybe there should be a different nationality thread every month. Bound to get some great ideas from something like that.
Agree with those words 100% Angry, Of the many things that food does, The biggie is bringing people together.
A thread like that sounds great. Think it through and run it up the flag pole mate.
traveller

Post by traveller »

Ok so I have a boneless butterflied Lamb Shoulder I'm going to try with this marinade..

I plan to marinate 2 days in fridge, then place it in a roast tray with the marinade. Based on the butchers recommendation I'll cook it indirect 120c on my Weber Summit for about 1.5 hours, then foil over and cook another 1.5 hours until just under cooked. Then I'll wrap and rest for 1 hour, followed by a 15 minute hot blast to brown up before serving.

Anyone want to chip in with thoughts on that please do.. And Merry Xmas to all!
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

traveller,

ease back on the salt if you're going to leave it in the marinade for two days I reckon.

Picks up plenty of flavour overnight and too much salt will ruin it. (been there, done that)

Don't forget to give it a baste with lemon juice befiore you wrap it, when you unwrap it and before you give it the last blast.
traveller

Post by traveller »

Thanks will do!
hermolt

Post by hermolt »

I'm throwing gnol's recipe on my spit tonight for about 40 people.

Did the marinading last night whilst a bit soused and woke bolt upright this morning thinking, "bugger, I've used too much salt".

A quick fry of a piece confirmed I had indeed and it was just sitting on the edge of saltiness - certainly edible, and when paired with pita and a lightly seasoned salad, I'm sure it will be palatable - but I've just had to rinse and pat 11kg of lamb shoulder and I feel a bit sad.

On the plus side, I'm glad I caught it in time and didn't have 40 hungry people turn up to pizzas this evening!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

hermolt wrote:I'm throwing gnol's recipe on my spit tonight for about 40 people.

Did the marinading last night whilst a bit soused and woke bolt upright this morning thinking, "bugger, I've used too much salt".

A quick fry of a piece confirmed I had indeed and it was just sitting on the edge of saltiness - certainly edible, and when paired with pita and a lightly seasoned salad, I'm sure it will be palatable - but I've just had to rinse and pat 11kg of lamb shoulder and I feel a bit sad.

On the plus side, I'm glad I caught it in time and didn't have 40 hungry people turn up to pizzas this evening!
Hope it turns out OK.
For the benefit of this recipe and others like it that are cooked slathered in its brine;
Sausage meat or long marinated meat like Gyros are tasty with a salt level of between 1 & 2 %
That is between half to one table spoon of salt per kilo of meat.
So for your 11kg of lamb shoulder you would of required a MAX of 220g of salt.
Most peoples taste buds are in the 1 to 1.5 % range so 165g salt to 11kg is a better starting point. Or 15g per kilo

Like making bacon using the equilibrium method, The amount of salt can be surprisingly low.
Packing with more salt than is required turns it into a time game. The meat is removed when you think its at the salt percentage required and washed. However, In this case we are eating the "Brine". That forces us to the equilibrium method for Gyros.
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

AND - have you ever noticed, the longer you cook something (think 10hr lamb shoulder) - you've put heaps of salt etc on it - the cook dilutes the salt & flavours somewhat - compared to just griilling a piece quickly