Schweinshaxe

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Dougt

Re: Schweinshaxe

Post by Dougt »

direct over the heat. no heat reflector used correct Chris??
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Dougt wrote:direct over the heat. no heat reflector used correct Chris??
Yep, that's how I do it...I like cooking direct over the fire.....scares the Bejesus out of most people....if you are worried, no harm in putting the deflector in.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

I've put a this on my list to buy next time I go to the butchers, I may try them roti style.
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

After Chris (UG) pointed me to this thread, I thought I'd have a go at them on my day off yesterday.
I was going to use the GMG, but the neighbours spoiled it - they decided it was "sheets & towels" day, and in the interests of neighbourly relations, I didn't want to completely smoke out their clean washing hanging on the line.

After thinking about a minion or a snake, but wanting to get the crackling set - which would need a lot of heat (and then what to do with that heat) I figured I'd just go a really hot fire, and then choke it down to temp.

So I got 2/3 of a chimney going on the wok burner (minimal light-up smoke) and dumped them in the kettle - setting the baskets over to one side.
I then set 3 knuckles around the other side, and put the lid on. They went on at 1:30pm.

After I had a half reasonable crackling form (just after 2pm), I slipped my sheet aluminium shield in - which halves the kettle neatly, and protects the indirect cooking half from direct heat. Then I closed the bottom vent down to about 1mm wide on each of the 3 slots, and half closed the top vent.
At the "crackle" temp, the "above grill" (in a potato) probe temp was showing 290C.
Within 5 minutes of choking it down, temp was down to 180C, which settled to about 150/140C over the next 1/2 hour.
I had lows of around 130C when a gust of wind came through (we had some sprinkling rain too - karma for the neighbour's washing spoiling my GMG plans!)

By 5:30pm they were almost perfect - the meat probe was slipping out of the meat, and showing 92C. I shut the bottom vent completely, and relied on the gap from the probe wire to let enough air in for a "keep warm" state, which it did. Dinner at 7pm and they were perfect.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
Nath

Schweinshaxe

Post by Nath »

Sounds great! I think you would have had a more difficult time getting crackling on the GMG, I find it hard. Kettle was a perfect choice. Where's the pics!

Nath
Nath
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

Found the time to upload them to photobucket:
The skin only really crackled up in few places, but the rest of it was all crispy too - just thicker.
Getting into the meat it was like cracking open an egg & removing the hard outer shell (skin).

5 year old came up with the "if you put the meat on 2 bits of bread, do you have a knuckle sandwich" which I think has already been mentioned, whilst the 16 month old couldn't get enough of the Pork, and even mowed down several fork loads of sauerkraut!

This is about 3 hours in:

You can see the alloy deflector I have made for the kettle - it sits down onto the fire grate, and there's a vertical slot to clear the centre bar of the cooking grille. I had to round the upper corners for lid clearance, but it works well at shielding food from direct radiant heat. I placed this in after about 1/2 hour, when I choked it down.

And on the plate:
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
AnzacPaul

Post by AnzacPaul »

They look awesome, been meaning to do knuckle again for a while. I actually tried it with some smoked hocks, but they came out way too salty. Gonna hunt down some nice meaty ones soon and give it a go.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Find a German or Croat butcher!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Here's my first go with the Aldi pork knuckles.

Just dried them overnight in the fridge, then into the Dragon for about 5 1/2 hours around 125 deg C.

Cooked up some sauerkraut with bacon, onion and capsicum, and placed the knuckles on the 'kraut for the last hour.

Will try to get better crackle going next time round, but very happy cook, and very happy guests.

Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

looks like aldi sold alot of knuckles.... my attempt on a bed of onions and a good dark german beer
burb

Post by burb »

Tremendous!
magste

Post by magste »

It's hard to find non smoked knuckles. Is there anything good to be done with the smoked ones?
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Nath

Schweinshaxe

Post by Nath »

Where about a you located Magste? There is a "butcher" in Westminster shopping centre that has good ones. Have also seen them at drovers Wanneroo.

Nath
Nath
Bill44

Re:

Post by Bill44 »

magste wrote:It's hard to find non smoked knuckles. Is there anything good to be done with the smoked ones?
Pea soup.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
ozwaz

Re:

Post by ozwaz »

magste wrote:It's hard to find non smoked knuckles. Is there anything good to be done with the smoked ones?
Hi Magste,

Not sure where in Perth you are, but The Beef Shed in Malaga had heaps of them the other day, from memory $9.99 kg. Had an Octoberfest type promotion thing so I'm assuming they'll stock them all month.

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner