Smoked Rump???

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Davo
Forum Administrator

Smoked Rump???

Post by Davo »

I was just wondering if it'd be a good thing to slow smoke a rump roast slab and due to the fact that it is a lean cut of beef, would it be wise to brine it first, if so then for how long?
I've never actually roasted or smoked a rump before but a post that Chris sent here some time ago about if you keep the meat under 66C,the meat should stay moist.
That would make this rump roast med-med rare at 65-66C ? eg still quite red inside?
The reason I'm asking this, is because i want to cut my fat intake as those Pork ribs & scotch roasts are having an effect on what used to be a waistline LOL and having a look at a rump for slow cooking might be the answer as you're getting a fair bit of meat for your money.
I beleive that a higher fat content would be good for high heat grilling but a low fat meat kept within the 66C temp range should still be nice and tender?
Has anyone slow smoked or cooked a Beef rump before?

I thought i might first try with a 2-3 kilo rump slab and smoke with red gum or hickory.
Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Re: Smoked Rump???

Post by Smokey »

I've done a few cuts like rump, Round eye on a slow cook and I have always come to the conclusion that I'm better off cooking at hotter temps (150C) and just adding a few wood chips for a hint of flavour.
I would also be brining as the natural salt seems to leech out on a slow cook.
Give it a try and see what you think.
I'm still yet to smoke a silver side and have a go at pastrami. That is also fairly lean apart from a fat cap.
Will let you know how I go with that one.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Davo,

Slow cooking a rump will work fine, by all means brine it first and follow the method I outlined in the tips section http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=19&t=119
Not letting the temp go beyond 66 will prevent the cells from bursting and loosing moisture, the longer you can hold it at 66 the more the collagen fibres break down and turn to gelatine.....and the yummier it gets, seven or eight hours is good.
It is also a perfect technique for reverse searing, at BBQ School we do the rack of beef as described in the above topic then cut it into thick steaks and quickly hot sear it. I put a small cast iron grill directly onto a raging batch of heat beads to get it as hot as I can and sear for only a minute a side.

I have to say this method produces the best steak you will ever have!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Mmmmmm...this sounds rather good Chris, I've often thought that it might be cheaper and better to buy say a scotch roast and cut into steaks the size in which i want.
When i get the chance,hopefully this coming season,to try making some beef jerky in the WSM. I'll buy a round roast and cut thin slices from it which should give me some decent jerky....i can see a rump may be just as good if not better.
Not so easy lately to get into BBQing even on weekends lately when you've just completed a solid 65 hour work week and the mrs ain't home to do the housework :?

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5