Another noob with an xmas ham ;)

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
MrBBQ

Another noob with an xmas ham ;)

Post by MrBBQ »

Hi :)

So doing my first pickled xmas ham on the Weber kettle and got a few questions.
I have had a read and still filtering through a lot of posts.
Did a supermarket ham some time back based on the guide from the Weber book which was pretty amazing but this is now next level for me, about time :lol:

I have ordered a pickled ~4.5kg leg on the bone from my butcher and it should be hanging up at the butcher's as of yesterday. Picking it up tomorrow arvo.
Any suggestions for any other prep or chuck it in the fridge till xmas day? Have a small (gulp) empty beer fridge to house it in till then.
Should I have the butcher vac it as its a few days and open the seal on xmas day?

Plan is to use the low and slow snake method with apple wood chunks.
Got myself a BBQ buddy remote thermo yesterday also. Love me gadgets! :mrgreen: Its on special at Bunnings at the moment at $24 in case anyone needs one.

How long roughly would it be in the kettle before I take the skin off?
Should I smoke before taking the skin off?
If I read right, start basting @ around 120f and every 15 mins till I hit 140f? Still filtering through the glaze recipes on here :wink:
How long would the whole process take roughly for a ~4.5kg piece? Not sure what time to start and be ready for around 2-3pm.

Now for my main dilema lol... I have read to do the ham the day before, then ice bath it and let it settle which if I understood right should also settle the salty flavor? I dont have the time to do that, its all gotta be done on the day, so either cloves with a glaze or pineapple with a glaze to combat the salt? Or would the glaze combat it no matter if I go pineapple or cloves? If thats the case, which option would compliment the apple wood smoke more?

Cheers in advance
Last edited by MrBBQ on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Cook

Re: Another noob with an xmas ham ;)

Post by Captain Cook »

Page 79 of the Weber Bible (The Complete Australian Barbecue Kettle Cookbook)
That is the best that I have come across for a simple Baked Ham. The book says 3 1/2 hours cooking time plan on 4 1/2 (you can always keep it hot, foil wrapped in an esky with a couple of old towels over it. It is best to give it a rinse in cold water for a few minutes then pat it dry before starting to cook it. When you take the rind off smoke it again before you glaze it.
I used to demonstrate cooking for Weber and that was my favourite dish to demonstrate the kettle at Christmas time.

If you cant find the book/recipe then pm me for a copy
MrBBQ

Post by MrBBQ »

Yup, I do have the book. Looks like I am trying to complicate the best way to do it :lol:
Even easier! :mrgreen:

So that timing mentioned is for a 5-6kg piece in the book.
Mine is roughly 4.5kg... Same timing still applies?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

MrBBQ wrote:Yup, I do have the book. Looks like I am trying to complicate the best way to do it :lol:

Same timing
MrBBQ

Post by MrBBQ »

Captain Cook wrote:
MrBBQ wrote:Yup, I do have the book. Looks like I am trying to complicate the best way to do it :lol:

Same timing
Cheers :)