Beef rib fillet roast on Weber kettle

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
DodgySheep

Post by DodgySheep »

So after looking at these fora I bought a Webber Kettle at the weekend. Did a few chops and snags earlier in the week which was good.

Then I decided to try a small quick mid-week roast:

800-900g rib fillets, just a little bit of thyme and salt and pepper. Only did it for 35-40 mins. Indirect cooking with the lid on. A couple of pieces of hickory put onto the charcoal just before putting the lid on. Started off at about 220 degrees C for about 15 minutes, then mostly closed the vents although the temperature only dropped by about 10 degrees over the next 15 minutes (it's a learning experience!).

So - the meat was a bit over cooked but really juicy. Tasted good. I was really surprised that there was a thin but noticeable smoke ring after such a short time, and an obvious smokey flavour. The left-overs, cold the next day, were even smokier - not too much, but not far off.

So a couple of quick questions please! Was it this smokey because it was so hot, rather than low and slow? And how much wood would you add for smoke? The guy in the shop suggested decent sized bits of hickory (maybe 3cmx4cmx6cm for the smallest bits in the bag, going up to maybe 3cmx5cmx8cm for the larger ones) rather than just wood chips. What's your thought? Size doesn't matter (fnar fnar), it's just how much/how many pieces you use? Or was it more noticeable here because you wouldn't normally smoke a roast - and save the smoking for ribs, brisket etc.?

Either way, it was pretty good!
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Great effort !

What model kettle did you get?

What fuel did you use as it can affect the smoke flavour?

Did you use direct or indirect?

How did you measure the temp? Did you use a dual probe thermometer?
DodgySheep

Re: Beef rib fillet roast on Weber kettle

Post by DodgySheep »

Thanks mate!

57cm original premium kettle with GBS.

Not sure about the charcoal - just a generic unlabelled bag from the store where I bought the Weber. Then the chunks of hickory wood on top once it was burning properly.

Indirect heating. I didn't use a seperate thermometer, just the one included in the lid. Started cooking at 220 degrees, then tried to reduce it down later although it didn't drop much in the time it was in.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Generally for heat consistency and taste I find heat beads the best. The best price is the 16kg box (4x4 kg bags) from Bunnings for @$22. Great value compared to the bags from the supermarket.

Try cooking with just the heat beads so you know the baseline smoke taste. Then you know how much wood chunks to add. Different woods add different flavours. Don't forget the Aussie bush flavour if you have some gum trees or other natives nearby that drop twigs you can use .
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Buy a cheap charcoal chimney eg $10 Bunnings and some metal tongs so you can add and remove charcoal easily to change the temp.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

When you get used to heat beads taste try some lump charcoal.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Beef rib fillet roast on Weber kettle

Post by Davo »

With beef, i like the taste of mesquite wood chunks on the fire....i find it sweeter but more robust than hickory but beef can take it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5