Step by Step UMAi Dry Aging Process

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

I just want to start off by saying I don't work for Umai, nor do I have any affiliation with them. Titch suggested I should do a "step by step" tutorial and I thought that would be a good idea.

This is all you need....I will explain the cook book later
Image[/URL]
These bags are around $20 American plus postage. This includes 3 Umai bags and vac mouse.
Image[/URL]
I always get the biggest Rib Fillet I can find. Don't worry if it's fatty on the outside as this will be trimmed off later.
Image[/URL]
Cut open the bag holding the filet leaving half exposed and half still in the bag. I put mine in the sink to make it easier to handle for the next step.
Image[/URL]
Grab one of the Umai bags and double it over itself by around a quarter.
Image[/URL]
Slide the filet into the bag
Image[/URL]
Easier to explain with pics
Image[/URL]
Hold it like so, this pushes the air out of the corner of the bag. We fold the bag over itself to keep the area we are going to seal nice and clean.
Image[/URL]
Next I grab my food saver machine (you will need one that you can manually vac and then seal) here I do 2 double seals around 5 centimeters part.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
After the first seal is completed I wait 10 seconds and seal again.
I then repeat this process 5 cms down.
Image[/URL]
Then we get our vac mouse
Image[/URL]
I don't use the whole thing. I just cut it in half.
Image[/URL]
I then lay the filet on the cook book to make it the same height as the food saver. I align this so that when its time to seal the bag the seal runs through the seals I did previously on the corner (this apparently makes it easier to vacuum all the air out later)

This next part is important. You need to vacuum only here. DO NOT PRESS THE VAC-SEAL BUTTON
Image[/URL]
Try and massage the meat (keep it clean) and get as much air out of the bag as possible. Get someone else to hold the vacuum button while you are working all the air out of the bag. Once you're happy seal the bag, wait 10 seconds and seal again (double seal)
Image[/URL]
We do another seal just above. No vac needed, just a seal double seal (wait 10 seconds between seals)
Image[/URL]
All bags come with stickers with start and end date.
Image[/URL]
I always leave it out on the counter for a while just to make sure the seals are holding, then I Pop it in the fridge elevated on a wire rack. (Standard fridge that circulates air) high traffic fridge would be good. That's why mine is in the big beer fridge........
Image[/URL]
Now, the instructions say to do this fat cap down for the first 7 days then flip it. I sometimes do this and sometimes don't. Up to you.
I ended up going 36 days as I was unable to carve this up on day 35.
Image[/URL]
Cut the bag off. You will end up with a very hard outer casing.
Image[/URL]
As you can see from the bag, this is a very clean (and near odour less) process.
Image[/URL]
Now, this is personal preference. Some people carve the outer casing off. Like skinning a potato.
Image[/URL]
I prefer to cut it into steaks and then slice the outer casing off.
I start from the end
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Once I'm in the money I start slicing the steaks
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Once it's all cut into steaks I then trim off the outer "wax like" casing
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Trimmings
Image[/URL]
Steaks ready for the freezer
Image[/URL]
You can freeze these steaks with the casing on and then trim them when you are ready to cook them. This is just the way I do it.

I hope this is easy to read and understand. This is a great process with awesome results.

Thanks for looking

Almost forgot the very last process....get the next one in the fridge!!
Image[/URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gnol

Re: Step by Step UMAi Dry Aging Process

Post by gnol »

Thanks for the post Pesto3,
Couple of questions.
Can you just use normal food saving rolls and what is the significance of the vac mouse?
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

Hi gnol, no mate you can't use ordinary food saver rolls. The UMAi are specially designed "oxygen permeable" bags. It keeps air out but allows oxygen to pass through. It allows the moisture to release and the enzymes in the meat get the oxygen they need to tenderize.

"Quote"
UMAi is applied with a vacuum sealer only to pull the bag into best contact with the moist surface of the meat—not to form a vacuum.  It is the bond that forms between that meat surface and UMAi Dry®  that is the key.  You only need 75-80% of the surface to bond with UMAi Dry® for consistent, reliable results.

As for the vac mouse? I think it's just to make it more difficult to do the process. You have to vacuum for considerably longer, ensuring good contact of the meat to the bag, with out squashing or suffocating the meat.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gnol

Post by gnol »

Thanks Pesto3.
titch

Post by titch »

Thats a great write up mate :wink:
Cheers
Titch