My first brisket cook

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Toiletduck

My first brisket cook

Post by Toiletduck »

Hello all,

I picked up a small Grill Dome from ebay a couple months ago for $100 and have finally got around to slow cooking some brisket on it.
I had a 2.5kg piece of Cape Grim which I injected with a sugar/salt brine to up its mass and then let sit for a day or so. I then applied a rub made of most of the powders from my cupboard (sweet smoky paprika, hot paprika, mustard, onion, garlic, pepper, salt, brown sugar).

I had some problems getting my fire just right - it took me a good hour to get it settled after a few initial setbacks because of my poorly jerry-rigged indirect cooking set-up which smothered a lot of the oxygen flow. But I eventually got it to settle at about 240/250F for most of the cook. Did a light smoking with some hickory over the first couple hours.
I hit the 160F stall around the 3 hour point into the cook and then it crawled to around 170F over the next two hours. Decided to wrap in foil at that point and after another two hours more I got it up to 195F after which I took it off the heat, wrapped in foil and towels and let it rest in the esky for an hour.
The reveal!
Gotta say it was a pretty stressful ordeal but the end result was sensational! Buttery texture with some good smoke flavour and a nice hit of heat on the rub. Can't wait to do the next one!
A big thanks to Beavers Guide to Aussie Brisket for all the excellent advice!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: My first brisket cook

Post by Davo »

Beaver would really appreciate that acknowledgement and rightly so as you've pretty much nailed it.

Next time, try taking the brisket up to about 203F and see the difference......Pulled pork is good for 190F though.

That looks great....i'd be very proud of that effort.

It looks that you may not want to put a brisket any larger than that on the grill dome as it only just fit this time but if you do get a larger brisket, like this one you must account for about a 30% or so loss of mass so it'll shrink a bit, but at first you can place a log or something in the middle of the brisket to hump it ill it shrinks to the right size.....it was also soak up some heat so you could get a lower temp cook.

Great job.....I'm lickin' the lips :P

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Toiletduck

Post by Toiletduck »

Thanks for the tips Davo - particularly the log trick! I'll definitely push the brisket to just over 200 next time. The thicker part of the cut was touching the edge of the dry side so the extra time could make the difference. Overall, I was super happy with this cook though. Cheers.
Pesto3

My first brisket cook

Post by Pesto3 »

Great first attempt mate! I normally check mine from 195 to 205f. Is that the flat? Briskets can be unforgiving. They need to probe like butter regardless of temp. I have a couple in the fridge that I am hanging to cook. Keep those cooks coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smokerjoe

Post by smokerjoe »

Hey there looks pretty good i normal start checking mine at 185 with a skewer and feel the brisket for tenderness not just rely on temp. Also done my first brisket on a uds i build. I found it smokes heaps better using a water pan.
Toiletduck

Post by Toiletduck »

Pesto3 wrote:Great first attempt mate! I normally check mine from 195 to 205f. Is that the flat? Briskets can be unforgiving. They need to probe like butter regardless of temp. I have a couple in the fridge that I am hanging to cook. Keep those cooks coming!

Yep that was the flat. I've since attempted a point and pushed that to 207F. Got a nicer bark on it and the textrure was like butter. Delicious.
BrianFlames88

Post by BrianFlames88 »

I will be cooking my first homemade brisket this coming Christmas. I am glad I found this very helpful post.
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

When you say home made brisket do you mean you grew the cow?
lockyer

Post by lockyer »

hoddo wrote:When you say home made brisket do you mean you grew the cow?
Now that is an interesting question Mr Holmes..... :?:
smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

[Decided to wrap in foil at that point and after another two hours more I got it up to 195F after which I took it off the heat, wrapped in foil and towels and let it rest in the esky for an hour.

Did you add any liquid/marinade when you foiled it?