Costco ribs

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
BeachedBro

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro »

Hi guys, been a while since I got ribs from Costco and it seems they now sell Baby Backs. They're called loin back ribs anyway. They have part of the loin attached and are as meaty as all hell so awesome!

A mate that has low and slowed them a few times reckons he might take the loin part out as it gets dry and there's also a bit of fat connecting the main rib to the loin part that ain't that great.

I'm doing a couple of these racks on the weekend and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?

Cooking in a KJC.

Thanks
SlowBurn

Re: Costco ribs

Post by SlowBurn »

Hi BeachedBro I myself got some of the Costco baby backs on the weekend and found they cooked up very well. Your mate is right they're a meaty rib and I cooked up a 1.8kg rack for 4 hours at 225F. I did find them a little dry but I put that down to not keeping the moisture up enough myself. I found no issue with fat connecting to the rib myself so not sure on that one.

A 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar & water pan works well and a good rub to trap as much moisture as possible. I made up amazingribs meathead rub myself and finished off with baby rays sauce.

Best bet is to give it a go and if you don't get it right try again - that's my plan anyways.

Enjoy!
Pesto3

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 »

BeachedBro wrote:Hi guys, been a while since I got ribs from Costco and it seems they now sell Baby Backs. They're called loin back ribs anyway. They have part of the loin attached and are as meaty as all hell so awesome!

A mate that has low and slowed them a few times reckons he might take the loin part out as it gets dry and there's also a bit of fat connecting the main rib to the loin part that ain't that great.

I'm doing a couple of these racks on the weekend and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?

Cooking in a KJC.

Thanks
Please post your results. Love seeing ribs on the Classic. I did 3 racks on my KJC around a month ago. Sensational.
Image[/URL]
BeachedBro

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro »

Thank guys. They're fat fkers! Pics to come. They've been in the KJC for about 3.5hours.
BeachedBro

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro »

So the verdict for me is that my mate was right. Trimmed some of the loin off and those ribs were fab. The ones with thick loin - the loin was dry. Loin is very lean so not sure how you get this part to be tender/juicy. I'll trim off next time or maybe just go back to st Louie cut racks.

Over all great cook. Used Memphis meat heads dust. Never used anything else really. Got my own twist on it too now so never deviate.

Living the KJC.
Pesto3

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 »

Great cook mate. Looks real yummy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlowBurn

Post by SlowBurn »

Some very nice looking ribs congrats!
BeachedBro

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro »

Thanks guys.

Do Americans leave the loin on their baby backs too? If so then I'm doing something wrong.
overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

What does Costco charge forthem?
Pesto3

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 »

overspiceddave wrote:What does Costco charge forthem?
Costco loin baby back ribs are $18.99 per kg. Average size is 1.8 to 2 kg

Woolworths are $21.00 per kg and are just bone and mostly spareribs.

Next time I got I will be buying around 10 racks just to have in the freezer.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Pesto3 wrote:

Yeah thats what I did recently, they freeze and defrost well. 1 rack with a few sides feeds my whole family. I don't bother taking that loin bit off, but Im cooking them pretty fast on a pit barrel cooker and dont wrap them, so maybe that makes a difference? Never noticed that loin bit being noticeably dry.
Pesto3

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 »

wedwards wrote:
Pesto3 wrote:

Yeah thats what I did recently, they freeze and defrost well. 1 rack with a few sides feeds my whole family. I don't bother taking that loin bit off, but Im cooking them pretty fast on a pit barrel cooker and dont wrap them, so maybe that makes a difference? Never noticed that loin bit being noticeably dry.
No I don't take the loin off either. Never founded it to be a problem. I did my last lot and wrapped 2 and didn't wrap the third. I think the unwrapped one was actually better then the wrapped one (moistness wise) Only slightly. I think it was around 250-275f for 4 hours.

What temp do you cook yours at?
Emo

Post by Emo »

I did 2 racks of Costo ribs today. Excellent result and everyone enjoyed them.
No crutch, just 6 hours in the WSM with the occasional mopping of bbq sauce.

Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK
RoadieBBQ

Post by RoadieBBQ »

I haven't found the Costco loin back or spare ribs to be that great. I've done them a few times in the pit barrel cooker and they just seem to dry out. The racks i have cooked have had a bit much inedible cartilage and fat for my liking, and the taste of the actual meat was not the best. I have since discovered it is not free range pork, and without wanting to sound like a total snob, you can really taste the difference in free range vs farmed pork. Borrowdale Pork sell vacuum packed twin packs of meaty loin back ribs at various butchers around the country. It is certified free range and they are light years ahead of Costco ribs in every way. They can be hard to find (Google is your friend here) and you do pay a premium for them, but the taste is worth it. If you're in Melbourne, my local butcher Dry Aged Meat Co in Hoppers Crossing can order them in with a few days notice, or The Que Club BBQ Store in Brunswick usually has them in their fridge most days.