Costco ribs

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Post Reply
BeachedBro
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 am

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi guys, been a while since I got ribs from Costco and it seems they now sell Baby Backs. They're called loin back ribs anyway. They have part of the loin attached and are as meaty as all hell so awesome!

A mate that has low and slowed them a few times reckons he might take the loin part out as it gets dry and there's also a bit of fat connecting the main rib to the loin part that ain't that great.

I'm doing a couple of these racks on the weekend and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?

Cooking in a KJC.

Thanks


SlowBurn
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Re: Costco ribs

Post by SlowBurn » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi BeachedBro I myself got some of the Costco baby backs on the weekend and found they cooked up very well. Your mate is right they're a meaty rib and I cooked up a 1.8kg rack for 4 hours at 225F. I did find them a little dry but I put that down to not keeping the moisture up enough myself. I found no issue with fat connecting to the rib myself so not sure on that one.

A 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar & water pan works well and a good rub to trap as much moisture as possible. I made up amazingribs meathead rub myself and finished off with baby rays sauce.

Best bet is to give it a go and if you don't get it right try again - that's my plan anyways.

Enjoy!

Pesto3
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:47 am

BeachedBro wrote:Hi guys, been a while since I got ribs from Costco and it seems they now sell Baby Backs. They're called loin back ribs anyway. They have part of the loin attached and are as meaty as all hell so awesome!

A mate that has low and slowed them a few times reckons he might take the loin part out as it gets dry and there's also a bit of fat connecting the main rib to the loin part that ain't that great.

I'm doing a couple of these racks on the weekend and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?

Cooking in a KJC.

Thanks
Please post your results. Love seeing ribs on the Classic. I did 3 racks on my KJC around a month ago. Sensational.
Image[/URL]

BeachedBro
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 am

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Thank guys. They're fat fkers! Pics to come. They've been in the KJC for about 3.5hours.

BeachedBro
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 am

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Image

Image

So the verdict for me is that my mate was right. Trimmed some of the loin off and those ribs were fab. The ones with thick loin - the loin was dry. Loin is very lean so not sure how you get this part to be tender/juicy. I'll trim off next time or maybe just go back to st Louie cut racks.

Over all great cook. Used Memphis meat heads dust. Never used anything else really. Got my own twist on it too now so never deviate.

Living the KJC.

Pesto3
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:18 pm

Great cook mate. Looks real yummy!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowBurn
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:55 pm

Re: Costco ribs

Post by SlowBurn » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Some very nice looking ribs congrats!

BeachedBro
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 am

Costco ribs

Post by BeachedBro » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks guys.

Do Americans leave the loin on their baby backs too? If so then I'm doing something wrong.

overspiceddave
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Sutherland, Sydney

Re: Costco ribs

Post by overspiceddave » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:13 pm

What does Costco charge forthem?
Image

Pesto3
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:16 am

overspiceddave wrote:What does Costco charge forthem?
Costco loin baby back ribs are $18.99 per kg. Average size is 1.8 to 2 kg

Woolworths are $21.00 per kg and are just bone and mostly spareribs.

Next time I got I will be buying around 10 racks just to have in the freezer.

wedwards
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Re: Costco ribs

Post by wedwards » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:34 am

Pesto3 wrote:
overspiceddave wrote:What does Costco charge forthem?
Costco loin baby back ribs are $18.99 per kg. Average size is 1.8 to 2 kg

Woolworths are $21.00 per kg and are just bone and mostly spareribs.

Next time I got I will be buying around 10 racks just to have in the freezer.
Yeah thats what I did recently, they freeze and defrost well. 1 rack with a few sides feeds my whole family. I don't bother taking that loin bit off, but Im cooking them pretty fast on a pit barrel cooker and dont wrap them, so maybe that makes a difference? Never noticed that loin bit being noticeably dry.

Pesto3
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Costco ribs

Post by Pesto3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm

wedwards wrote:
Pesto3 wrote:
overspiceddave wrote:What does Costco charge forthem?
Costco loin baby back ribs are $18.99 per kg. Average size is 1.8 to 2 kg

Woolworths are $21.00 per kg and are just bone and mostly spareribs.

Next time I got I will be buying around 10 racks just to have in the freezer.
Yeah thats what I did recently, they freeze and defrost well. 1 rack with a few sides feeds my whole family. I don't bother taking that loin bit off, but Im cooking them pretty fast on a pit barrel cooker and dont wrap them, so maybe that makes a difference? Never noticed that loin bit being noticeably dry.
No I don't take the loin off either. Never founded it to be a problem. I did my last lot and wrapped 2 and didn't wrap the third. I think the unwrapped one was actually better then the wrapped one (moistness wise) Only slightly. I think it was around 250-275f for 4 hours.

What temp do you cook yours at?

Emo
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:20 pm
Location: Ascot Vale, Victoria

Re: Costco ribs

Post by Emo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:30 pm

I did 2 racks of Costo ribs today. Excellent result and everyone enjoyed them.
No crutch, just 6 hours in the WSM with the occasional mopping of bbq sauce.
Image

Image
Weber Kettle-BLACK
Weber 4 burner-BLACK
Weber Smokey Mountain-BLACK
Weber Go Anywhere-BLACK
Weber Q200...not BLACK


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest