Point or flat?????

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
munro

Point or flat?????

Post by munro »

Hey guys I ordered a point end brisket from the local wholesale butcher and this is what I ended up with. From what I have read it looks like I have got some point and some flat but please do correct me and let me know if in fact he has fulfilled my order for a hunk of point.

Cheers munro

http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Nick_ ... sort=3&o=0
Smokey

Re: Point or flat?????

Post by Smokey »

It is the point end. They overlap so the section on top is the point end of the flat.
What you have is normal, Looks pretty good to.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
munro

Post by munro »

Thanks for the reply mate I really appreciate all the help this forum gives me being fairly green to smoking but so far so good. Got put on at 6:30 and Just about to hit 160 degrees then wrap it up and see how she pulls through to the 200 mark haha
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

How did it turn out?

To make an photobucket pic work, Copy the IMG code and dump it in your post.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
munro

Post by munro »

Mate it turned out really well. It was probably one of the better cooks I've had so far. No troubles with the snake and a few minor adjustments here and there. Had a really good flavour and was moist and tender. Not bad for my first go at brisket. I think next time I will go a bit heavier on the smoke as I wasn't sure how much it could handle. Here's a few pics of the brisket straight after slicing and then the feast.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Munro,

I don't know about going heavier on the smoke although beef can generally handle a fair bit but look at that smoke ring...that is very commendable and I'm a judge at some of these comps and that is some of the nicest looking brisket I've seen to date.
I reckon you should be very proud of that......you're lucky I'm not there, I'd be hoeing into that like nobody's business :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
munro

Post by munro »

Thanks for the feedback Davo I will keep that info on the smoke in mind next cook. And to tell you the truth I was pretty proud of it when it was done haha. The dark chocolate stout sauce went extremely well with the smoke and rub on the brisket. Thanks for the confidence boost Davo hahaha.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

WOW, For your first brisket you nailed it. Blokes that have smoked dozens of briskets can aspire to that effort.
I'm smoking what I think is a flank now and I hope it turns out like your brisket.
Keep that butcher, That is a real nice piece of meat.
munro

Post by munro »

Thanks smokey. The butcher is Warwick meats in jade drive up here in molendinar on the gold coast. He's pretty good to as he is a wholesaler. I ring him early during the week and place an order, send the misses in friday and we are smoking on saturday haha. Plus that bit of meat only cost $20 for 3kg so he is fairly reasonable price wise. I also only had to trim about 200-300 of fat from it. I appreciate the feedback you guys have given me on my first brisket too means I'm on the right track and the practice is paying off.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

My work office is based at Molandiner, Will check them out thanks for the tip.
Down my way is Jack Sprats who do high end cuts via order only. Hes an ex Vics meats so knows all the seppo cuts.
Pesto3

Point or flat?????

Post by Pesto3 »

Great looking brisket and that smoke ring is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
munro

Post by munro »

Thanks pesto3.

Smokey I havnt tried much of their meats outside of the baby back ribs and brisket. I do know they do collar butts and aren't too bad and the butcher will pretty much get you what you want. All comes cryovacked which is handy if you can't use it immediately.