Cape Grim Rump Caps

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
thermoman.1

Cape Grim Rump Caps

Post by thermoman.1 »

Today I picked up a couple of Cape Grim Rump Caps. I am thinking about doing one as a roast and the smaller one as steaks. Has anyone had any experience with this cut? My only experience with Cape Grim beef to date has been beef short ribs which are excellent. I hope to use my kamado rather than the oven. Any assistance with a recipe would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Bob
titch

Re: Cape Grim Rump Caps

Post by titch »

You are so lucky having that cut.
Google
rump cap picanha and you will be smothered with ways to cook it.
I have some Cuban/brazilain friends that serve that up on skewers.
great over charcoal.
Go get it mate
Cheers
Titch
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

Mate, I am really looking forward to cooking this stuff. I have seen the site about Brazilian cooking and it sounds great, but am wondering about low and slow temperatures for the roast.
overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

thermoman.1 wrote:Mate, I am really looking forward to cooking this stuff. I have seen the site about Brazilian cooking and it sounds great, but am wondering about low and slow temperatures for the roast.
Don't even think of low and slow.

Cut into three and fast hot spit roast. Mop it with salt water using a stick of rosemary. Nothin more

Dave
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

I ended up cooking it in the oven at 180C, grill on for 30 mins and then let it come up to inside temp of 145F (can't get my Maverick to change to C). Turned out very nice. I have a smaller one that I will do as steaks. Unfortunately I don't have a rotisserie but will bend them onto a skewer and see how I go.
traveller

Post by traveller »

I cook Picanha every couple of weeks. People rave about it, yet it's so simple..

I cut the Rump cap (saddle) across into 3 pieces, then push a spit bar through from my mini spit with the spit forks to hold the meat in place. Use a regular kitchen where to make the hole first, and get a 2nd person to help push the bar through. Pic of how it should look ..

http://www.tasteofbbq.com/images/picanha-intro.jpg

Then I simply rub in some medium salt flakes (no oil) and cook it over the coals. Start cutting slices off after about an hour.. You can also make a baste from half a cup of salt flakes, 6 mashed garlic cloves, and 3 cups of warm water. Use that to keep the meat moist.. Oh and buy a cap with a GOOD cover of fat.

Serve with some roast potatoes and lime/lemon aioli, fire roasted peppers or field mushrooms drizzled with good red wine vinegar and olive oil, grilled corn with lime and cheese, whatever really..