how do we all cook beef steak?

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
beginner

Post by beginner »

Steak is my favourite food and my favourite cut is porterhouse, but I enjoy any.

I use a simple and common method

bring piece to room temp in air
heat surface to maximum, usually I use an iron griddle pan, my only other option in the city is the Q which doesn't get hot enough unless it's on fire, which is less than ideal
pat dry with paper towel, apply a little salt and pepper to each side
I don't fiddle with the piece during cooking, only touching it to flip at the half way point. If I'm cooking one for a chick I'll rotate it at about the 3/4 point to impress her with fancy grill lines
I like to rest under foil for at least the cooking time
I aim for rare or medium rare depending on the piece, blue has been on and off with texture so I stopped doing it.

If I have time I'll make smash for a side but usually I just fry frozen chips during resting, once I had neither so I just had another steak as a side.

I've been using this method for years because I find it quick, easy, consistent results with my eyes closed. Wouldn't mind mixing it up every now and again though so interested to know how you guys do it, I saw a thread on here where one guy was using a blowtorch, what else we got?
Groovy Gorilla

Re: how do we all cook beef steak?

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Similar but i only put salt not pepper on it and I use the beef fat to oil it
Start the steak on the fat edge holding it with tongs
Render some fat then cook on it
chilling while grilling
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

I like the reverse sear in a thick steak. Room temp steak hit with salt/pepper/ garlic and onion powder.
Cooked in direct at around 175c in the Kamado until it reaches an IT of 125ish.
Then let it rest in foil and bring the Kamado up to around 275c and then sear both sides for 2 min.

That's my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I'M A FLIPPER :P

On my Q320, I have the heat turned up to as high as I can get it, usually around 550F on the dial, then bring the control back to about 2 strokes below high, salt the steak with pepper and garlic powder and let sit for 20 minutes so that the salt can drag the other 2 spices into the surface of the meat, lightly oil meat on both sides, not the hot grill, slide it onto the grill and close the lid, after 2 minutes when the meat and grill will separate, the first flip for 1 minute on other side then every 30 seconds I lightly salt it again, flip it so that the juices stay into the meat before they have time to surface, they are constantly being made to move from each side without losing any juice, once I feel I have medium (won't go under medium) I take off and sit the steak/s on their edge so there's less surface for the steaks to leak juice, I find that this technique minimalises the loss of juice and let it rest for about 5 minutes...the juice that does escape gets poured back on the steak after I place on the well caramalised onion rings.
These days I buy a 400 gram thick steak which has good even fat with no jelly looking substance between flesh and fat, ...I prefer Angus Porterhouse or scotch fillet for steaks and like to slice them up thinly to share between me and the Mrs...we like to eat in thin portions rather than the big chunky chew.

If I'm using the Weber kettle....the reverse sear is definitely the way I go, however I prefer to indirectly grill them in a hi heat roasting way then when they are up around the 55C internal, I throw them over the coals side to finish them off...theres more than one way to grill a steak. :)
As theres only 2 of us, I don't tend to light up the Kettle just to do steaks....that's what I have the Q320 for.....slack I know!! :P

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
beginner

Post by beginner »

Will be giving both these methods a go, I did experiment with garlic powder the other day and it went alright, was intending to sprinkle some onion powder on there also but none left, aside from that was my usual method so not too much deviation just yet.

Reverse sear is on the cards for next week and will be giving the method of many flips a crack. Those onion rings davo sound like a bloody awesome idea as well
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I like the taste of grass fed beef.
I dont really want to mask that taste but a garlic, parsley butter at the end is good or a juice reduction.
In the US with grain fed beef they need to add flavour, grass fed beef is full of beefy flavour.
chilling while grilling
DAK

Post by DAK »

This might get mixed responses by I sous vide at 54c for 3 hours, remove and place in my Kamado on grill grates that at about 300c dome Temp. 3 mins each side.

The consistency of sous vide plus the searing of the charcoal driven GG's makes a perfect steak every time.
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

love my steaks. here is a couple of old reverse sear steaks.
Image[/URL]Image[/URL]

man now I want a late night steak!!