Kobe Karubi Plate

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
damianpyro

Kobe Karubi Plate

Post by damianpyro »

Git my hands on some Kobe beef Karubi plate cut.

It is described as boneless ribs. 9+ marbling, Australia only goes to 9, but they claim it rates as 12 on international scales.

How to cook?
Bob S

Re: Kobe Karubi Plate

Post by Bob S »

I'm not familiar with that cut, but if it appears to have a lot of connective tissue, you'll need to cook it low and slow to get it tender. If it has little connective tissue, with that degree of marbling, I'd tend to cook it hot and fast. Either way, since we're talking Kobe beef, I'd tend to stay away from sweet glazes and sauces and just let the taste of the meat make its own statement. A good dry rub for beef is 1 tbs salt,1/2 tbs pepper, 1/2 tbs granulated garlic and 1/2 tbs of thyme. If you want it to stick real well to your meat, before you apply the dry rub try rubbing it lightly with 1 tbs olive oil and 1 tbs anchovy paste mixed together . Anchovy paste enhances umami, that incredible meaty taste, but doesn't add any fishy flavor after it is cooked. If you are going to add some smoke, oak is the go to wood for beef, if you can get it. Please post some photos. I'd like to see how it turns out.
Bob S
Buccaneer

Re: Kobe Karubi Plate

Post by Buccaneer »

Damian, if you have the skills and are confident you won't ruin it, slice it extremely thinly against the grain.
Grill it on a hibachi/WGA, just a quick high heat grill and it is sensational.
If you wish to do this I'll give you some Japanese sauce recipes.
Also, carpachio is sensational too, it is a chewy cut so make sure your knife work does it's magic!

I'll post more later.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!