Spit Roast Technique & Marinade Recipe for Lamb and Beef

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Hughesy1985

Spit Roast Technique & Marinade Recipe for Lamb and Beef

Post by Hughesy1985 »

Hi All,

I use my Weber several times a week so i know my way around a BBQ. I am after some advise for my 1st attempt using a spit.

I am catering for 30ish people and planing to roast 3 types of meat on a large spit. 2 Lamb Legs / Beef (Bolar or Silverside) / Rolled Pork Leg

Firstly any recommendations with the fuel? Heat beads vs charcoal or a combination. I have already purchased a bag of Etosha Charcoal and planned to use a combination.

Obviously the cooking times will be different but the meat will have to stay on the spit until everything is done. Any suggestions here?

Finally I plan to marinate the Lamb which i'm sure shouldn't be too difficult. The Beef on the other hand I am a little worried about. The butcher has suggested Silverside, any marinade/spice rub suggestions? I don't want to end up with a tough flavorless hunk of beef.

Thanks any feedback welcome!

Matt
steinyboys

Re: Spit Roast Technique & Marinade Recipe for Lamb and Beef

Post by steinyboys »

Not an expert by a long shot, but is it possible to do the lamb and pork on the roti? and beef in the weber just a thought lol good luck
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
AnzacPaul

Post by AnzacPaul »

Use charcoal, you will have to manage it a bit better, but it's easier to move around and doesn't give off "dust" like heat beads.

I always find it hard to choose beef roast, most of the cuts are too lean for my liking to roast up without going dry if you cook them anything over med-rare, so I feel your pain.

Also, give yourself plenty of time. better to have the meat done 45mins early and then rest it in foil then serving up raw pork an hour late.

Good luck and be sure to take plenty of photos!!!
Fents

Post by Fents »

you will go through heaps of charcoal if you use it on its own, i always go a mix of heatbeads and charcoal. remember to stick your hand under the meat often, if you can leave your hand there for longer than 5 secs then you need more charcoal/heatbeads/heat. marinate the meat often, EVOO/salt/pepper/rosemary.
chriso

Post by chriso »

Doesn't answer your question but I'd stick with something I know if I was cooking for 30 people. Spits are straightforward enough but I'd go for something you can do with your eyes closed.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I wouldn't be using lamb legs they are too hard to cook evenly on a spit due to the shape. I'd be going for lamb shoulder. The Rolled pork will be OK but bolar is an ordinary cut of beef. Just my 2c.