Cryovac meats

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
steinyboys

Cryovac meats

Post by steinyboys »

I have herd that its good to leave your cryovac meats in the fridge for weeks to age in the bag,Is this the case? I f so for how long? so in theory I should start stocking my fridge for Christmas very soon, I have found a bulk supplier selling Tasmanian grass feed meats near by that will sell to little old me, and they also have Tasmanian Wagu, but all the brisket cuts are all sold to restaurants, but all the other cuts available, just need to buy the whole box, so I f I buy the whole box, I am thinking use some now and hide some in that back part of the fridge that no body ever go's to till something smells you now the spot right? and I should be sorted, all depends on the shelf life of the crovac ? mmm going to need a bigger fridge :idea: :idea: :idea:
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
Muppet

Cryovac meats

Post by Muppet »

With beef yes, it can be dry aged or wet aged. I'm not an expert on either although one of the gurus was saying 3 months from kill date is fine for beef wet aged in the bag. Dry aging is another animal, my rudimentary knowledge of it is there's a lot of wastage and must be done in certain conditions (correct humidity and temperature) with more inherent risk involved.
Pork chicken and others do not age as well.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Bentley

Re: Cryovac meats

Post by Bentley »

I Wet Age my briskets for 35 days from package date...3 months, never heard that for Wet Aging, would be a stretch in my book, but lots of folks like to push the envelope more then me...I have heard of Dry Aging that long. In my experience with Dry Aging, I have found that about 28-35 days is optimal for the meat I get. US has 7 grades of meat. The 3 grades that most consumers see are UDSA Select, Choice & Prime. Select being the least marbled and Prime the most. Most suppliers & steak houses here will not Dry Age anything other then Prime...it is above my pay grade, so I have always used Choice. In my Testing over the years, I have done, 21, 28, 35, 43 and 56 days of Dry Aging. For me, there is no difference with USDA Choice after 35 Days of Dry Aging. And the loss, about 25-28%, which is brutal. I quite doing it as the primary advantage I have found with both Dry & Wet Aging is tenderness and not flavor...If I was using USDA Prime, I believe both would be effected. So you get the same tenderness with the Wet Aging as you do with Dry, you have maybe 3-4% loss at tops and you accomplish the same thing...NOW, I know that USDA Prime would be different! I know that Australia has a grading system, I have asked about it a hundred times on this site, but I never remember. I would venture to guess this Cape Grim is close if not better then our USDA Prime...

Good luck! And I hope I have not stepped on your toes with my blatant self promotion...

25 Day Dry Aged Rib Roast

35 Day Dry Age
43 Day Dry Age
56 Day Dry Age
56 Day Cross Section
30 Day Dry Age Brisket...Take my word for it, don't waste your time on Dry Aging this piece of meat! Wet Age...heck yes!
The Payoff!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Muppet wrote:With beef yes, it can be dry aged or wet aged. I'm not an expert on either although one of the gurus was saying 3 months from kill date is fine for beef wet aged in the bag. Dry aging is another animal, my rudimentary knowledge of it is there's a lot of wastage and must be done in certain conditions (correct humidity and temperature) with more inherent risk involved.
Pork chicken and others do not age as well.
Isent prosciutto dry aged pork :P
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

ok guys so I think If I buy my beef in next week or two it will be happy in my secret part of the back of my fridge till Christmass cheers all
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
damianpyro

Post by damianpyro »

I just bought cryovac meat 60 days past slaughter, no use by date, seems good.

So 60 days is safe as well, I think !
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

So in other words..

wet aging in simplest terms = buying a already cryovacced piece of meat... and letting it sit in your fridge at normal fridge temps (eg 3-5 deg Cel, depending on your fridge settings)...

in terms of time = 35 days up to xxxx ?

in terms of cooking a now wet aged piece of beef.. is reverse sear ok ?
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Does the type of cut make a difference?
Can you wet age beef rib eye for the same time as a brisket?
Does cryovacing yourself make a difference?
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!