Pastrami Please

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
steinyboys

Pastrami Please

Post by steinyboys »

All the threads I have read seem quite old, so I could I have some ideas picked up some pickled beef from Wollies , and want an adult version and a kid version I am told Bentley has a good reciep :?: I have seen it cooked it the smoker then steamed is that right any thoughts welcome
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
SilentBoB

Re: Pastrami Please

Post by SilentBoB »

I cooked up my first pastrami last week using some corned silverside I picked up from woolies...

Found this to be a pretty useful resource - http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/clo ... trami.html

I tweaked the rub a bit to suit my tastes but smoked it until about 203f and then took it off to rest.
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Very interesting read M8 how did yours turn out, where you happy with the taste? sounds to me in was delicious
Mick
garthur

Post by garthur »

I have also tried with Woolies corned silverside. It came out really well. Only thing with mine was I put a bit too much pepper in the rub (made it a bit hot) and I didn't soak the silverside for long, so it was a bit salty. I plan to do some more, putting more coriander in the rub and soaking the corned silverside for at least an hour.

I went through a similar exercise with some pickled pork I got from woolies. This turned out good. I know its not pastrami (more like crusted ham) but tasted good.

My best results with pickling then smoking was with a leg of goat. A guy gave me a leg and I cured it with Kwikcure for 4 days then smoked it. I put a bit of mild rub on. It came out really good.

Grant from Grass Valley
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

nothing wrong with using the corned silverisde from woolies.. i do it (almost) all the time
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

steinyboys wrote:Very interesting read M8 how did yours turn out, where you happy with the taste? sounds to me in was delicious
Mick
It was freaking awesome! I added a bit of chili powder as well to give it a bit of a kick. Also when eating the leftovers I sliced it and placed the slices between some wet papertowel in the microwave to steam them quickly, that seemed to work a treat as well.

Just make sure when you soak it that you change the water about half way through the soaking process. Never had any problems with the saltiness of mine doing this.
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

I have seen an American thread that say's after internal temp reaches 160 take it out and put it in the pressure cooker for about 40 min, any ideas on that ? I am about to light my lump now so hopefully some one might Know, I got 4 lumps marked down to 6 bucks so am going to give it a whirl, worst thing that could happen is the dog will get a good feed lol
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

I still do smokey s one every now and then. http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... k+pastrami
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Sorry I did not see this thread sooner...you probably got it all worked out now. My rub is pretty simple, I go light on coriander and heavy on pepper, also use some garlic, onion powder, paprika and ground mustard seed , and just a touch of brown sugar. I do like to steam it to finish as I think it is a great deli style! I like to cure my own beef, but using a store bought corned beef is done all the time!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

That's a serious bit of gear!