Rib Roast Ideas

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
JPete

Rib Roast Ideas

Post by JPete »

I have a rib roast save from a beats we killed earlier in the year. Whats a killer rob roast recipe, should i cook it in a hot kettle or slower?

I wasnt sure if the normal encrust it, slow cook it with smoke would work seeing as its more of a prime and maybe leaner cut.

Do you cut it into steaks and serve as steaks? If you cut into steaks do you charcoal these a little after you cut them? Or just cut them into steaks and cook em as steaks?
urbangriller

Re: Rib Roast Ideas

Post by urbangriller »

That's the best cut on the animal, Hot roast it to an internal of 40C, rest for 20 minutes, carve and serve with all the roast beef trimmings!

Do not Low and Slow....it's a prime cut!!!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
gnol

Post by gnol »

urbangriller wrote:That's the best cut on the animal, Hot roast it to an internal of 40C, rest for 20 minutes, carve and serve with all the roast beef trimmings!

Do not Low and Slow....it's a prime cut!!!

Chris
+1 high and fast.
JPete

Post by JPete »

Brilliant thanks!!!
JPete

Post by JPete »

T^hanks so much, it worked so well. I took the skin/membrane off the rib side and the fat cap had 2 parts on the other i took the outer cap and sliced 1 inch squares into the remaining. Covered it in a simple salt/pepper focused crust and cooked in hot webber with med smoke until it hit 40c internal, stood it for 30min or so and voila - perfect, aged rib roast.

It was honestly very very very good. Rare but kinda falling apart and plenty of smoke and lots of salt and pepper and a bit of a herb mix

http://1drv.ms/1GZwFZq
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Either way will work, but what works best really depends on the size of the roast. If it is a large roast, more than six ribs or so, you really need to cook it low and slow until it almost reaches the degree of doneness you have in mind. Then take it off the grill and crank up the temp as high as you dare. On a kamado, I'd go up to 600F. Carefully burp the grill and then put it back in to brown it. That should only take a few minutes depending on the temperature of the grill. Then take it off (after again burping the grill) and let it rest before carving. If it is a smaller roast, you can cook it more like a steak, hot from the get go. Just make sure you monitor the meat temp to ensure it doesn't get overcooked. If your grill will support it, I'd use the zone method of cooking, off the direct heat initially and then over the open fire to brown it.
Bob S