Lamb Shoulder - bone out.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

Bought a 1.5kg lamb shoulder without bone today and plan on cooking it on my kamado. I was inspired by sbm888 and also took note of the cook by nuggy. It's small because there are only two of us plus it's a first attempt.
sbm888, your marinade sounded like a winner so I am keen to try something like it.
What temperature should I cook it at, and what do you recommend for the final internal temp? I'm sure that my little piece will take less time than your 12 hours but I am keen to do it low and slow. If this works out then I will try another bigger piece (maybe with the bone in) and try the shepherds pie with the leftovers. My youngest grandson loves shepherds pie but has only ever eaten it made from mince.

Edit: Fat side down or up?
StoneX

Re: Lamb Shoulder - bone out.

Post by StoneX »

Fat side up.

That's the normal size for a lamb shoulder from my experience. 2.0-2.5kg bone in and 1.5-2.0kg no bone. i've had them take from 12-16 hours at 225-250F.

I actually have one of each in my gas smoker tonight. 1.6kg no bone and 2.1kg bone in. I'm cheating and doing 4hr in smoker with smoke and then putting it in the oven overnight until 195F or so. I've finished it at from 187F to 200F and anywhere in that range was fine as the lamb has so much fat and connective tissue to keep it moist.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Its hard to mess up the cook on a lamb shoulder but I'm learning it needs a flavor to cut through the fat, UG's black sauce is a good one or a Greek styled marinade baste for me. Oregano lots of lemon mmmmmmm
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

If you want to cook it faster then smoke it at 225f for 2 hours with your favourite wood, then put it in a roasting tray, some stock, garlic and rosemary and then seal the tray with aluminium foil, then back into the kamado at 225 for a further 4 hours, they turn out great!

StoneX

Post by StoneX »

How'd you go, thermoman?

My 1.6kg no bone shoulder took 12 hours and 15 mins overnight.
My 2.1kg bone in shoulder was a failure. It seemed to take 7 hours and 50 mins but after resting and pulling I found it was tough. My temp probe mustn't have been central :oops:
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

I haven't cooked it yet, just getting a few ideas. I have done a couple of puled porks no worries so this should go off ok as well. I will report back.