my first brisket with snake method

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
maik

Post by maik » Sun May 10, 2015 1:11 am

Hi all,

Just joined this forum and this is my first post. Its also my first brisket cook. Got a small Cape Grim packer from Sardes in QVM last weekend. I was so excited and couldnt wait for this weekend to do the cook. Image
Did my homework on how to do it in a weber kettle. Decided to go with the snake method. Started on friday night around 11pm. Arranged the beads 3/4 round the fuel grates. Stuck a water pan on the fuel grate that also acted as a drip tray.

Trimmed up and dusted salt and pepper on the brisket ala aaron franklin. Stuck it in the kettle when temp was at 244f. Temp dropped as the meat was still very cold and stuck under 220f for a couple of hours. Went to bed. Both vents fully opened.
4:45am woke up to see maverick showing kettle at 240f and brisket was at 156f, have read that that it was time to foil if i wanted to do the texas crutch. Had a peek at the meat and the colour wasn't where i expected it to be yet, so decided to let it go naked for another couple hours. Closed the bottom vent to about 2/3 as i was trying to cook all the way at 225f.

6:30am meat temp was at 170f, decided to foil it. Temp of the weber was at 230f and slowly dipped to 190f by 8am..opened the bottom vents fully, temp was struggling to get past 210f so fired up a dozen fresh coals to bring the temp back up. Temp climbed back up to 240f steadily and finally pulled the brisket out when it was 200f at around 11am. Chucked it in a cold oven to rest for a couple of hours.

When i finally got to slice it, i was a little disappointed, it wasnt as soft and moist as i'd expected, good flavour though. I figured 2 possibilities: i trimmed too much fat off? Or i foiled it too late? Would appreciate any feedback, thanks and sorry for the longgg post. Image Image

Bentley

Re: my first brisket with snake method

Post by Bentley » Sun May 10, 2015 6:14 am

It took me 100 Briskets to get that good!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Nath

Post by Nath » Sun May 10, 2015 8:06 am

Yep, that's some good looking brisket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg » Sun May 10, 2015 8:24 am

Welcome to the forum Maik. That brisket looks excellent to me!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Sun May 10, 2015 10:47 am

I'd say if it wasn't as soft as you expected that you just needed a little more time! Another half hour or so at temperature and the remaining collagen would break down, low and slow is about the feel at the end, not just the temperature. It looks damn good for first time out!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

maik

Post by maik » Sun May 10, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Urbangriller, will definitely try to feel the meat before i take it off the cooker next time.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller » Sun May 10, 2015 12:47 pm

maik wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys!

Urbangriller, will definitely try to feel the meat before i take it off the cooker next time.
Poke it with a skewer, it'll slide in like butter!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:55 pm

Yep, it's hard to argue with a thermometer but temps are only a guideline. Looks excellent mate
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado