Rump Cook

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Macca33

Rump Cook

Post by Macca33 »

Hi Guys,

I have two 3kg pieces of rump I am going to cook in two kettles tomorrow for my sons birthday and was just hoping for a guide on how long you think they would take to cook?

The plan is to get one chimney going, put half of the heat beads in each kettle and then get another chimney going and do the same and then throw the beef in.

Hoping to eat at 1:00pm so I was thinking start the first chimney at 9:00 and then hopefully get the meat in by 10:00.

Too early/late?
Hark Gas Smoker, Weber Kettle, Mini Spit, Cheap Gasser
Gumb

Re: Rump Cook

Post by Gumb »

I would think about 3/4 of a chimney in each would be enough. I prefer cooking rump or a little slower than normal roasting temps. About 2 hours should see it close to done so your timing looks about right. Don't forget it's better to finish early and foil it in an esky rather than try and time it exactly right. It will increase in temperature while foiled so take that in to account too. I'd also shield the under side of the meat from direct heat by using a strip of foil along the side.
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

Thanks Gump.

If I am close to done say an hour before time what temp do you think I should take it out at?

I was thinking maybe high 40's?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

That sounds about right but it will depend on how you and the guests like it cooked. If it's slowly cooked it will be more even that quickly done at a higher temp and it will naturally be less done on the inside so you can slice accordingly. We did some tests recently on how much it increases while resting in foil....see here......http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 45#p138181

If I'm cooking for others, I tend to take it higher than what i would do for myself. But I like it rare. If you slice thinly and cut across the grain, it should still be tender, even if you cook it a bit more.
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

Thanks for the tips Gumb, I took my eyes of the prize for a little while and didn't take the beef off until it hit 54c.

I rested it for an hour and it turned out really well. It was good having the fatter part in the middle as the edges and thinner bit were well done but the middle was still nice and medium so everyone was happy.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Glad it turned out well. :)