Beavers Guide to Aussie Brisket

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
DARTHSMOKER

Re: Beavers Guide to Aussie Brisket

Post by DARTHSMOKER »

Very informative, time to get on it & brisket up. Sick of brisket looking at me smugly in the butcher 8)
I find your lack of smoke disturbing.

GMG Jim Bowie, Blue Weber OTG & Weber Spirit E320
laxation

Post by laxation »

beaver wrote:Butchers paper can be used on electric cabinet smokers, pellet grills and offsets as they are unlikely to ignite the paper. Butchers paper helps with moisture retention and has slightly different effect to foil in that it will allow an amount of breathing but will also allow the crust to form better.
Same as baking paper?

If not, where do I get butchers paper? (lemme guess, ask for a couple sheets from a butcher?)

Edit* is this the right stuff? http://stationery.auspost.com.au/packag ... brown.html
Nath

Post by Nath »

laxation wrote:
beaver wrote:Butchers paper can be used on electric cabinet smokers, pellet grills and offsets as they are unlikely to ignite the paper. Butchers paper helps with moisture retention and has slightly different effect to foil in that it will allow an amount of breathing but will also allow the crust to form better.
Same as baking paper?

If not, where do I get butchers paper? (lemme guess, ask for a couple sheets from a butcher?)

Edit* is this the right stuff? http://stationery.auspost.com.au/packag ... brown.html
Ive looked at that, but i think youd need something that has more "waxy" otherwise it will just turn to mush.
I'm interested in finding some also, i think the Yanks call it "pink butchers paper", like the stuff Franklin @ BBQ with Franklin uses.
I haven't been able to source any, maybe we can get Bentley to send us a pallet :D :D
Nath
titch

Post by titch »

For years we ( family ) used brown paper/ bags , non waxed for slow cooked food.
Baking paper etc are all new in the reality of things.
Indirect low heat.
Can you still buy brown paper in rolls?
Cheers
Titch
laxation

Post by laxation »

Everything I've read says specifically no wax
laxation

Post by laxation »

http://www.bunnings.com.au/packaging-pa ... 3_p2610060
Found this ftw

Edit* that one wasn't butchers paper but they did have sheets of it. 50 for ten bucks. Just don't listen to the people at the front who say they don't have it and ask for the packaging section ;)
Nath

Beavers Guide to Aussie Brisket

Post by Nath »

Lax. I'd be interested to see how it goes if you give it a shot. Cash and carry in Perth have "butchers paper" in large sheets, the actual label on the packaging says newsprint paper. Can get it in 900x600 size I think which would be ideal. At $30 a bag I'm just reluctant to try it if it's not good.
Don't have any kids that can use it for scribbling on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
laxation

Post by laxation »

I have a 6kg packer to cook over the weekend and will post results :)
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

Thanks Beaver very informative and will be put to good use this Eater long weekend I reckon, I've got a 5.5kg grain feed Brisket to cook up just need to find a spare 15hours to do it!
ProQ Excel Elite 20, Maverick ET-735, Dragon Hibachi, Gasser
laxation

Post by laxation »

Brisket turned out great.
6.3kg, put on at about 6pm

By 11pm, temp had shot up to 160 and I was preparing toast to have brisket sandwiches for breakfast.
Worries faded away, however, when by 6am it was 170. 11am, 180. 4pm, 190. 6.30 and ready for wrapping at 200 :)

BTW, I wrapped with the paper at 170 and it seemed to work well. I don't have much experience with brisket to compare how it would have turned out otherwise, but this one was delicious!
JPete

Post by JPete »

The butcher i met today reckoned that cos this is a little lean, maybe consider rolling the brisket and keeping it in place with a metal skewer - but i havent really seen or heard of this before? i cook in a weber...whats the thought on rolling it?
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

JPete wrote:The butcher i met today reckoned that cos this is a little lean, maybe consider rolling the brisket and keeping it in place with a metal skewer - but i havent really seen or heard of this before? i cook in a weber...whats the thought on rolling it?
He would be talking about the "Flat" not the "Point"

I've never heard of rolling the Flat, I actually wont cook it anymore, its hugely overrated in my opinion. My recommendation would be to cook the Point only as its marbled with Fat and is a much nicer part of the Brisket.

Try Chuck & prep it the same way, I think it is better than Brisket anyway.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

JPete wrote:The butcher i met today reckoned that cos this is a little lean, maybe consider rolling the brisket and keeping it in place with a metal skewer - but i havent really seen or heard of this before? i cook in a weber...whats the thought on rolling it?
Rolled Brisket has been a classic Australian and English Pot Roast cut for Generations! It is still sold in butchers and supermarkets.

It's perfectly fine, it cooks well as a braise or a pot roast, less moisture than you typically want for US BBQ, but it is doable, particularly if you brine or lard it.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I feel ya on this one! Point or flat, I am gonna be in that loooooong line for the Point! In Texas you say I want lean or fatty when you order, that is how they distinguish what you want...I'll take that fatty please!
Grill Pro Australia wrote:...I actually wont cook it anymore, its hugely overrated in my opinion. My recommendation would be to cook the Point only as its marbled with Fat and is a much nicer part of the Brisket.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

Mmmm wagyu brisket!