Beavers Guide to Aussie Brisket

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Stux

Re: Beavers Guide to Aussie Brisket

Post by Stux »

Grill Pro Australia wrote:
JPete wrote:The butcher i met today reckoned that cos this is a little lean, maybe consider rolling the brisket and keeping it in place with a metal skewer - but i havent really seen or heard of this before? i cook in a weber...whats the thought on rolling it?
He would be talking about the "Flat" not the "Point"

I've never heard of rolling the Flat, I actually wont cook it anymore, its hugely overrated in my opinion. My recommendation would be to cook the Point only as its marbled with Fat and is a much nicer part of the Brisket.

Try Chuck & prep it the same way, I think it is better than Brisket anyway.
I found this too. I bought a brisket for a texas bbq party I was putting on. First attempt... "that's not a brisket :-\".. well, I guess I'll freeze the deboned beef flank.

Second attempt... well, that's a brisket, but its so tiny, thin and pathetic looking. Just like that picture previously posted in this thread actually.

I also bought a nice big whole chuck which looked like I thought the brisket should've ;)

Guess which turned out devine... and guess which turned out tasting like I find aussie brisket always does ;)

Maybe I'm just not a fan of that greasy brisket flavour. US brisket doesn't seem to have that taste.

I'd now recommend using a whole chuck, when you want to do a "brisket". Just works better.
Aldi Hark Vertical Gas Smoker
Weber Q120
Classic Red Weber Kettle
BeefMaster Hooded 4 Burner + Side
Italian Spiral Burner + MP Adjustable Reg
DodgySheep

Post by DodgySheep »

So the next question is how to get a good brisket? Need to find the right butcher, or would most butchers be able to give you the right bit of meat when you ask? I've been to a couple of butchers for brisket before, and each time have been given a fairly flat bit of meat (an inch to an inch and a half thick), weighing 1-1.5kg in total. I haven't seen any larger bits of meat, though can appreciate that they wouldn't tend to put a whole brisket in the window display. When I've cooked them they've been tasty, but always a bit dry. Could easily be my cooking technique though! Would an Aussie butcher recognise the term 'whole brisket packer' or 'whole brisket point?'
DodgySheep

Post by DodgySheep »

Ta. Actually one of those suppliers is one of the ones I'd mentioned above - I'll have to go back and ask them for a bigger chunk!