First BBQ brisket not great - need advice

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Buccaneer

Re: First BBQ brisket not great - need advice

Post by Buccaneer »

Yeah Bent, that's exactly what I was saying and your picture spells it out where my words could not.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

So you all just get flats? Anyway a butcher would hook you all up?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

beaver

Post by beaver »

i have dealt with full packers that are only 2.5kg.
in this case it was a VERY small cape grim where the average size is 3.5kg and the biggest is like 8kg.
as bentley asked, are we getting flats? well in the 600g situation i think a "portion" of brisket may have been cut off and sold and its likely just the flat.
in all cases these days i purchase full packers but Aussie cattle are just inherently smaller.

The "heart guide" and other shitty aussie healthy initiatives have pretty much limited the aussie beef market where you will get younger cattle slaughtered as your average mum/dad only want a 350gram ribeye on the bone instead of a 700-800 gram one.
this in turn means every other cut is smaller including the brisket.

Yes Bentley, our briskets (on average) are very small and harder to cook. I always teach students to source bigger briskets as they are easier and recommend not trying to cook anything under the 3.5kg mark due to how hard it is (as you have pointed out).
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Bentley wrote:So you all just get flats? Anyway a butcher would hook you all up?
Yes, it takes some searching but a decent butcher will do them for you, but you need to be able to show him exactly what it is so he knows what to do.
A lot of butchers I went to just said no, too hard. Perth people can PM me for a guy who does quality beef and takes brisket orders.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Buccaneer wrote:
Bentley wrote:So you all just get flats? Anyway a butcher would hook you all up?
Yes, it takes some searching but a decent butcher will do them for you, but you need to be able to show him exactly what it is so he knows what to do.
A lot of butchers I went to just said no, too hard. Perth people can PM me for a guy who does quality beef and takes brisket orders.
........part of the problem is you need a butcher who cuts from the carcass instead of opening boxes.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

beaver wrote:i have dealt with full packers that are only 2.5kg.
in this case it was a VERY small cape grim where the average size is 3.5kg and the biggest is like 8kg.
as bentley asked, are we getting flats? well in the 600g situation i think a "portion" of brisket may have been cut off and sold and its likely just the flat.
in all cases these days i purchase full packers but Aussie cattle are just inherently smaller..
Most Australian cattle are sold as Yearlings, we don't have year round grass in most of the country. so they are grain fed for 3 months....then it is too costly to take them into another year. Ox is two year, Cape Grim can do that as they have year long grass.
beaver wrote: Yes Bentley, our briskets (on average) are very small and harder to cook. I always teach students to source bigger briskets as they are easier and recommend not trying to cook anything under the 3.5kg mark due to how hard it is (as you have pointed out).
I have no problem cooking a rolled brisket and I think it's a great place for a newby to start, they are easy to get, cheap and they cook up well...they don't look like a US brisket, but when its practice you need they are fine....chuck is also good to practice!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

urbangriller wrote:
Buccaneer wrote:
........part of the problem is you need a butcher who cuts from the carcass instead of opening boxes.
This,
Thanks Chris, I didn't realize it wasn't clear, a usual I assume too much!