Smoked Beef Short Ribs

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
dionysus32

Re: Smoked Beef Short Ribs

Post by dionysus32 »

One other thing I think I did wrong is tell the Mrs to buy me ground pepper, I think I instead should of used cracked pepper.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

All good mate, I can only go by the pics and I could be way off Mark. Your reply kind of confirms its an offset thing and is quite interesting. I'm only trying to spark your mind. The ribs are fantastic as the other brothers have proclaimed.
The only reason I picked on you was because they were so good. And good talent needs poking :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Giddyup

Post by Giddyup »

Looks like you got them spot on to me.

This is a good read regarding the 'smoke' ring.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... _ring.html

"The smoke ring is not cause by the billowy white stuff, it is caused by gases. It is not enhanced by paprika. It is enhanced by basting. It is not due to nitrites like the pink color in cured meats. There is no time limit on smoke absorption. The ring stops when the meat hits about 170°F and myoglobin loses its oxygen retaining ability, not 140°F. Salt has little to do with it. Some people think it does because it is right below the surface and that is where the spices and smoke flavors live. They are fooled by the bark"
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

dionysus32 wrote:One other thing I think I did wrong is tell the Mrs to buy me ground pepper, I think I instead should of used cracked pepper.
I think this is a good effort for first time out!

I make my own Dalmatian (Salt & Pepper) Rub:
Put equal quantities Rock salt and Peppercorns in a dry wok and toast the hell out of it on high heat. Stop when your eyes water and let it cool. Grind in a Mortar and Pestle or spice grinder, store in an airtight jar. You'll never use anything else!

I spritz with Beef Stock and never use sweet BBQ Sauce. I'll put a bowl with Beef stock and a couple of chillies (maybe some garlic) in the back of the smoker at the start, by the end it is rocking with flavour, that is my dipping sauce.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

urbangriller wrote:
dionysus32 wrote:One other thing I think I did wrong is tell the Mrs to buy me ground pepper, I think I instead should of used cracked pepper.
I think this is a good effort for first time out!

I make my own Dalmatian (Salt & Pepper) Rub:
Put equal quantities Rock salt and Peppercorns in a dry wok and toast the hell out of it on high heat. Stop when your eyes water and let it cool. Grind in a Mortar and Pestle or spice grinder, store in an airtight jar. You'll never use anything else!

I spritz with Beef Stock and never use sweet BBQ Sauce. I'll put a bowl with Beef stock and a couple of chillies (maybe some garlic) in the back of the smoker at the start, by the end it is rocking with flavour, that is my dipping sauce.

Cheers
Chris
Great idea! Will be sure to remember this for next time..
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Once you have a taste for Ribs, next time turns into ASAP! :D

Chris
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

My local guy reckons chuck ribs are better than the shorts. Have a few racks to test that theory tomorrow.
ruski

Post by ruski »

Do you guys cook these to temp? 200ish?

They look great :D
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

Card Shark wrote:My local guy reckons chuck ribs are better than the shorts. Have a few racks to test that theory tomorrow.
How did you go?
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

ruski wrote:Do you guys cook these to temp? 200ish?

I was more trying to keep a stable temp inside the smoker using the 3-2-1 method and then checking if how they felt with bone movement rather than checking the temp.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

ruski wrote:Do you guys cook these to temp? 200ish?

Seven hours @ 225F (107C) for me then go by feel.

Cheers
Chris
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

dionysus32 wrote:
Card Shark wrote:My local guy reckons chuck ribs are better than the shorts. Have a few racks to test that theory tomorrow.
How did you go?
Hard to call a difference. Very tender and flavorsome.