8 hour lamb leg on weber q

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Cameron23

8 hour lamb leg on weber q

Post by Cameron23 »

I would like to slowly roast a leg of lamb at the lowest heat on a weber family Q. I am going to prepare with fresh oregano, lemon juice, white wine, and chicken stock, black pepper and rosemary on a small rack in a roasting pan. I am going to cover with foil for fist six hours and then remove foil for last two. At completion i am going to double foil and towel rap and leave to rest in esky for 11/2 to 2 hours prior to serving.

Will this work or can anyone help with any other suggestions?
thank you for your help

cameron
Bill44

Re: 8 hour lamb leg on weber q

Post by Bill44 »

IMHO a complete waste of gas and time. It's not the right cut of meat for this type of cooking. Do it to the shoulder and you should have a winner.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Cameron23

Post by Cameron23 »

I thought that may be the case after i viewed some other comments regarding slow roasting lamb. Looks like a trip back to the butcher.

Thanks for the advice
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Hi Cameron. If you are going to have it in a pan covered with with foil, you may as well just do it in the house oven at whatever temp setting you like. There's no need to burn gas in your Q for that method. Use the Q for roasting it at around 200c, which it is brilliant at.

If you are trying to get the lamb to fall apart, then a leg is the wrong cut. You need a shoulder which will break down over time. My advice is to roast it the normal way.

I noticed you had this question posted twice so I've merged both threads to one so both replies are here. Looks like you hit the submit button twice. :D
Cameron23

Post by Cameron23 »

If I was to buy a shoulder could I do a slow cook on a weber charcoal rotisserie? If so what would be the best marinade as I wanted to make it similar to a greek style lamb as some of my guests find traditional lamb to strong for their palette.

I have a small jackeroo spit roaster, another charcoal spit with adjustable height, the Weber Q family and the original 1979 weber kettle with rotisserie available to use and will also be cooking a 2.5kg piece of beef on one of the spits, a 3.5kg piece of pork and some chickens and will use whichever is best suited to the slow roasted lamb. (a busy cup eve/morning cook :D )

Thanks all for any advice and suggestions.

Cameron