Country Fried Steak & Gravy

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Wingman

Country Fried Steak & Gravy

Post by Wingman »

Hi mates! I have been told that you guys don't see much in the way of country fried steak in Australia. SO I thought I would share this. Today it was a nice sunny day across the pond and a great time to fire up the Scottsdale. I finally got around to doing a country fried steak recipe. I'm not sure why I have not done one until now as I eat them all the time when we go out for dinner.

The flour was a mix of all purpose flour and Johnny's seasoning. The batter was a buttermilk base with pepper, salt, garlic, baking powder, baking soda, egg and hot sauce. I got to thinking which is sometimes a bad thing... So I thought why not rub them cubed steaks down with some Mad Hunky HAW. So I did and I'm glad I did because it worked out great in the end. I coated both side of each steak with the flower mix then into the batter and back into the flour.

I fired up the Scottsdale with lump and melted down 3 cups of vegetable shortening in my 15" Lodge cast iron skillet. Once the oil reached 325 degrees F in went the steaks. Four minutes per side for each steak (two at a time)and then into a dish with some paper to soak up excess oil.

Next I drained all but 1/4 cup of oil from the skillet making sure to leave any small bits of coating or meat for the gravy. Then I mixed in some flour, salt, pepper and milk. I brought this to a simmer and let it thicken then removed it from the heat. The rest is below... I was pleasantly surprised ant the flavors. The gravy was thick (I hate runny gravy) and the coating on the steaks was nice and crispy the way it should be in my opinion. Anyway info pics and video are below. This was very easy to cook and man was it delicious! If any of you try this recipe please let me know what you think of it. Thanks mates!

Ingredients:

4 Large Cubed Steaks
Rubbed with Mad Hunky Hot Ass Whang Rub to taste

Flour Coating
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp. Johnny's Seasoning

Buttermilk Batter
2 Tsp. Baking powder
1 Tsp. baking soda
1 Tsp. Black Pepper
3/4 Tsp. Salt
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1 Large Egg - Beaten
1 Tbsp. Hot Sauce - Tabasco
2 Cloves Garlic Minced

Gravy
1/4 Cup of leftover fat & and the solids
1/4 Cup Flour
4 Cups Milk
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

My Recipe Details

Pics

Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
edgy

Re: Country Fried Steak & Gravy

Post by edgy »

You sure know how to make a dish that stops the heart Rob! 8) :lol: looks very comforting!
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

edgy wrote:You sure know how to make a dish that stops the heart Rob! 8) :lol: looks very comforting!
Thanks mate! Give it a try... If you do let me know what you think... I'm always looking for feedback. :D
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Big ass snitzle. Quite often done here but bashed tender with a meat mallet. Also do cubes of steak like this for sweet and sour.
It sure does make plain steak tasty. Another great vid and how to Rob
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Smokey Mick wrote:Big ass snitzle. Quite often done here but bashed tender with a meat mallet. Also do cubes of steak like this for sweet and sour.
Thanks Mick! Now that I'm enjoying some Tequila... I sure wish I would have made more. :D These kinds of leftovers rock when your sipping good Tequila!
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Wingman wrote:
Smokey Mick wrote:Big ass snitzle. Quite often done here but bashed tender with a meat mallet. Also do cubes of steak like this for sweet and sour.
Thanks Mick! Now that I'm enjoying some Tequila... I sure wish I would have made more. :D These kinds of leftovers rock when your sipping good Tequila!
And cheers to you friend, Something wrong with people that don't like your tucker :lol: Regardless of what that pesky doctor says :mrgreen:
to be honest I Really love the stuff you come up with. The way you do it, I would love to emulate so I'm watching and learning.
I just love outside the box recipes and old tradition ones as well.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au