BACON

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
MWilo81

BACON

Post by MWilo81 »

so i did my second lot of bacon this weekend come out spot on but i wanna do peppered bacon and other flavours but im not sure when i should put the pepper on the bacon after i soak in water with the salt and brown sugar cure ???
Last edited by MWilo81 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MWilo81

Re: BACON

Post by MWilo81 »

id also like to show photos but not sure how too
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Put it in with the brine or dry rub, then wash it off during the soaking prior to smoking.
For pics, get a photo bucket account or the like and copy the IMG code.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

I used pepper berries in with the salt and sugar dry rub on my last one instead of black pepper.

Huge difference, much nicer than I hoped for.

Going to try a few more native Australian herbs and spices in future.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Raul

Post by Raul »

Angryman65 wrote:I used pepper berries in with the salt and sugar dry rub on my last one instead of black pepper.

Huge difference, much nicer than I hoped for.

Going to try a few more native Australian herbs and spices in future.
Hi
If you like to experiment with natives and if you like some heat I like to recommend
the Tasmanian pepper/mountain pepper/ or Tasmannia lanceolata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmannia_lanceolata

You can use the berries or the leaves (whole or in powder), if you purchase a plant
to have berries you will need 2 plants one male and one female, the flowers are not the same
in both plants and have to be pollinated to have the berries in the female plant.

Mountain pepper can be up to five times hotter than ordinary black pepper – and it has quite a
different taste sensation to chilli, it’s rather like the Sichuan pepper used so widely used in
north-east Asia to produce the famous tongue-numbing hot dishes of the region, What makes
Tasmanian pepper so prized by chefs for its lingering afterburn is a compound called polygodial
(the experts say it’s a dialdehyde with a bicyclic sesquiterpenoid backbone, in case you really
wanted to know). (last paragraph copied from the net)

In Melbourne the best and cheaper place to get the plant it is in La Trobe University nursery
at less than $5 each, the plants are seedlings from the forest a bit north
from Melbourne, other places in Australia no idea

Reading here you should have the plants growing in the forest close to your location http://goo.gl/Duh8Py
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Thanks Raul,

I'm going to do some research to find out if they'll grow in my part of Southern NSW. I'm on the coast so that restricts a few varieties of plants that need cold or altitude.

If they will I'll try getting some.

Got a bit of space and want to put in a native herb garden. There's lots out there that we don't use enough of.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.