It's Pastrami Time

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Davo
Forum Administrator

It's Pastrami Time

Post by Davo »

Well I must say that one of our newest members A_z_z_a inspired me to do another pastrami type cook up this arvo so I'll have some lunch meat for work.

I bought a 1.5 kilo corned silverside yesterday and soaked it in water for about 3 hours to rid of some saltiness then I rubbed some yellow american style Mustard and then some no-salt Mad Hunky all round. I find this rub to really combine with Hickory smoke very nicely.

Placed in the fridge overnight to let the rub do it's thing along with some very small bite sized racks of pork ribs for snacks ...they weren't gonna be a part of the show and tell due to their irrelevance of the main feature and that was the Silverside.

So I started the WSM up this morning using robot turds I had left over doing a minion over heat beads. Don't bother ever getting those new red head matches like charcoal lighters..they're bloody hopeless...it's that compressed cardboard crap.

Anyway, got the WSM happening and the food on the grate by around 1PM.

Smoked all meat for about 3 hours @ 225F with water in pan and it held steady and never wavered off this temp all arvo...love this smoker :)

So while the ribs are still cooking, it was now time to steam the Smoked Silverside, but I done this in the Q320 so I can get a bit more heat for the steam

So I steamed it for about a further 3 hours and slightly overshot the internal temp but I think I saved it.....so I took it off and wrapped it in foil for about an hours rest while I watched TV and then sliced it...I must say, it was much better than my previous attempt. Thanks to Bentley who gave me the tip on Steaming it after the smoking session. I'll be doing this again.
I'll have some nice sammich meat for my lunches now.

The photo doesn't really do it justice, it's moister than it looks :P

Note: This is a Copy & Paste from same post in WDYC Part 10

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Re: It's Pastrami Time

Post by urbangriller »

looks good Davo....you should try the DIY rub I posted, I take mine out half way through and roll it in pepper and chilli, there is enough sticky in the rub for it to stick, and it gives a bit of kick! :D

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

We haven't tried this one yet Davo but from the look of the cooks on here it won't be long until we do.

cheers, Wayne and Jan
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

You need to get some corriander, cracked black pepper and some brown sugar in there somewhere Big Daddy! :shock:
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

A_z_z_a

Post by A_z_z_a »

Nice work!! I will have to get another one going soon too, thanks for reminding me. Here are a couple of pics of my last attempt..
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

Very interested in this post smoke - steaming method!
Looks great guys
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I gotta get a Brisket and cure it...have not done it in quite awhile...half will bee for Corned, the other half for Pastarami. The steam does seem to be the ticket for the finish Davo! I saw it done on TV when they were doing a show about deli's, it was Carnegie's in Manhattan that showed me the light!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

HannibalK1ng

Post by HannibalK1ng »

Your pastrami eneded up looking awesome.

i was looking to get a peice of corned silverside and do the same thing.

only diffrence is that i will be doing it on an offset smoker.

Should i do everything the same but wrap at like 160f untill internal temp of 180f?

thanks!
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

Hi folks .. Quick question on the steaming... If u don't mind?

If u smoke to internal to 160.. What do u steam it up to?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi Skuzy..

I can't seem to remember the final smoking temp but I just smoked it for 3 hours at 225F then let it cool a bit, then steamed it in the Q320 for a further 3 hours.......now ya got the old noggin thinkin'

I don't think I bothered with the temp on that cook except I didn't want it to go much more than about 70C internal as theres not much fat in there for rendering.

Hope that helps mate.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

For what it is worth, I go to about the same IT as my finished Briskets, around 205°f...have been as high as 210°f...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

skuzy

Post by skuzy »

very interesting.. im gonna have to search more here to see the different ways people are doing this/

after steaming it for a while i found it lost alot of the smoke flavour? anyone else agree?
Muppet

It's Pastrami Time

Post by Muppet »

Yes mine do, but I go pretty heavy on the smoke and pepper and it kind of works, without the steam its too much. I've only done it 5 times but the texture alone makes me go the steam finish route.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Davo,

congrats on learning how to use your camera......i think this a 1st time photo posting for you....??..yeah..??..

steaming..........nah, just do your minion all the way home.

internal heat......i take mine to around 205f

have a crack at smokies rub recipe it is my go to for pastrami.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

Cody mate - do you find it too beefy when you take it to 205?