Pulled Pork for beginners, by a beginner.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
ozzieac

Re: Pulled Pork for beginners, by a beginner.

Post by ozzieac »

Thanks to this forum I have done my first PP today. In at 815 and out at 1520 now in some foil and towelsin esky bag until 545. Hope it tastes nice!
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

A good pulled pork needs a really good sauce, and then it becomes excellent.
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

+1 Hoddo,what sauce do you use?
Did a pulled pork shoulder and my wife's friend bought over a cheese cob loaf dip, after a few beers the combination of the cheese sauce and pulled pork was sublime :D
Always like a bit of fermented hot sauce on my pork as well
titch

Post by titch »

ozzieac wrote:Thanks to this forum I have done my first PP today. In at 815 and out at 1520 now in some foil and towelsin esky bag until 545. Hope it tastes nice!
So, how was the Pulled Pork?
Cheers
Titch
ozzieac

Post by ozzieac »

Was nice. A few tough bits though I think maybe nearly 3.5 hrs in the esky bag might have been a tad long. Although sweet baby rays helped that sauce is great!

I think next time if I do a similar size 1.5kg I might put the meat in around 9 so to finish around 5 with an hour of rest.

Next might be some baby ribs from costco!
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

ozzieac wrote:Was nice. A few tough bits though I think maybe nearly 3.5 hrs in the esky bag might have been a tad long. Although sweet baby rays helped that sauce is great!

I think next time if I do a similar size 1.5kg I might put the meat in around 9 so to finish around 5 with an hour of rest.

Next might be some baby ribs from costco!
What temperature did you take it out at? I don't think the esky will cause it to be tough. It's more likely not cooking it enough will cause it to be tough.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Correct. I've had it in the esky for 4 hours and it's still piping hot and moist. You have to cook to temperature, not time.
DARTHSMOKER

Post by DARTHSMOKER »

This is fantastic for someone who is just starting out. Having watched this forum for the past few weeks salivating over my keyboard, I am going to pluck up the courage & do a pulled pork in the next couple weeks on the OTG. Just have to line up the butcher & watch the snake video a few more times :-D
I find your lack of smoke disturbing.

GMG Jim Bowie, Blue Weber OTG & Weber Spirit E320
ozzieac

Post by ozzieac »

Gumb wrote:Correct. I've had it in the esky for 4 hours and it's still piping hot and moist. You have to cook to temperature, not time.
I took it out at 90c should i have gone a little longer?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

That's close, I maybe go two more but it's also about time at temperature too. The longer the better within reason. Did you splash in some liquid when you wrapped it ? I add in a half glass of apple juice mixed with bbq sauce but you can use almost anything similar.
ozzieac

Post by ozzieac »

Gumb wrote:That's close, I maybe go two more but it's also about time at temperature too. The longer the better within reason. Did you splash in some liquid when you wrapped it ? I add in a half glass of apple juice mixed with bbq sauce but you can use almost anything similar.
Ahh maybe that's my issue as soon as it ticked over to 90 I pulled it out. Oh well it's all about experimenting and learning fir next time! Will maybe go to 92 next time and try and keep the temp in the webber down a little as towards the end I lost control a bit with the temp and it went to Around 130 after sitting around 110 most of the cook
randel

Post by randel »

Can someone tell me - is pork forequarter the same as shoulder??

Was just at the local looking for pork shoulder to try first go at pulled pork on the pellet grill...

They only had forequarter roasts - but they were $4.99 per kilo which makes me think it is too cheap and must be crap :) :)

The only shoulder they had was boned and marinated already...
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Forequarter will be fine for PP

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
randel

Post by randel »

Thanks Chris
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Second time for pulled pork shoulder,7kg.
Almost 12 hours now.
Internal temp has stalled at 71c,not overly worried as temp will climb again when its ready, but if it hasn't climbed up in 2 hours then I will foil it. Aiming for an internal temp of 90c before removing from the heat and foiling up for the rest before shredding into pulled pork.
Doing an Alabama White Sauce for the pulled pork, it rocks.
2 cups mayo
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup of apple juice
2 tsp of horse radish cream
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp of mustard
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
chilli sauce/powder to suit your palate