Time to have a Crack

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
go_fish

Time to have a Crack

Post by go_fish »

Hey Guys,

So ive been doing some searching for so local beef. I got onto a place called Whitegate Farm just north of kilmore. I order a basic trial pack and asked about a brisket, long story short he threw in a point end brisket for me.

Now this is what it looks like (no i havent trimmed it or anything, those knife marks are from the butcher) It has a weight of 1,195g so its not overly big.

What i would like to know is if i should roll it? Its very thin and not what i imagined it would look like!

Cheers

Benny
Smokey

Re: Time to have a Crack

Post by Smokey »

No, Don't roll.
It will plump up. You can roll but you will loose surface area for the yummy bark / browning.
Also that thin point could be cut off towards the end of the cook and diced up into cubes and fried up with sweet BBQ sauce for taisty burnt ends
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
titch

Post by titch »

I roll these and stuff them with sundries and other goodies.
:wink:
Cheers
Titch
go_fish

Time to have a Crack

Post by go_fish »

I'll leave it flat. Now to find a rub and get it ready for the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
go_fish

Time to have a Crack

Post by go_fish »

Put her on this morning. Everything looked good so I decided to take Jnr out for a hour or so. Come back to 95c and very little fire. Damn!

go_fish

Time to have a Crack

Post by go_fish »

Well here it is. Had a few issues, fire went out then I couldn't keep the under 130c never mind.

How was it you ask? Bad! I guess it wasn't that bad. Rub was way to hot. Too much chilli power, it wasn't too tough but it was a little dry. I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong and will fix that next time around.

kendoll

Post by kendoll »

If it's any consolation it looks pretty damn good. Nice smoke ring and cut the right way.
Looking forward to your next effort.

What IT did you take it to?

Ken
Ken
go_fish

Time to have a Crack

Post by go_fish »

Ken,

Thanks mate. It wasn't can't eat it bad so it's all good.

70c I wrapped in foil and brought it up to 90c ish. Wrapping it in foil was a bad idea I think. Rub/bark turned to mush. Tried to save it and I think that's what killed it.

Forgot to add: I towelled it and let it rest in the esky for an hour before eating.

Benny

LA1

Post by LA1 »

Could have just been the Brisket. Grass fed fed Yearling can dry out. Go for something older or grain fed 100+ days.