"Maybe They'll Be Okay Ribs

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
MrLucyTheBoxer

"Maybe They'll Be Okay Ribs

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

What do u do when ur American wife is feeling down? Have an American style cookout of course!

I took my son and dog to the Botannical Gardens in Ashmore and decided to swing by Super Butcher on the way home. Low and behold, I managed to score a couple of kilos of beef ribs and a rolled brisket, neither of which I've ever cooked before.

So I started out making a rub, equal parts rock salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, onion granules, smoked paprika, brown sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon.

Then I trimmed some of the fat off the ribs and removed the membrane. This was then fed to a VERY happy dog!

I hit the ribs with EVOO and the rub, waited a little bit until the Pro Q Frontier hit temperature and laid out two racks on each level.

I am planning on doing the brisket overnight. Will keep you posted.

Ben

Walking a different path...

www.suburbanaussiedad.blogspot.com.au
MrLucyTheBoxer

Re: "Maybe They'll Be Okay Ribs

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

Crap!! Here's the rest of the photos.

MrLucyTheBoxer

Re: "Maybe They'll Be Okay Ribs

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

'Bout an hour later, I've opened up the smoker, taken some pics, spritzed them with water and done an internal temp check. I checked three times, getting between between 58 and 70C, but I don't think that can be right after an hour at around 250F.

So I'll leave them in for another hour before I baste in sauce and wrap in foil.

Ben

ImageImage

MrLucyTheBoxer

Re:

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

Okay, another hour has gone past. The bones are starting to appear which ia good to see.

I wrapped them in foil, but not before basting them in Jardines BBQ sauce, also from Super Butcher.

I'll leave them in foil for another hour, finish them off directly on the coals, then rest then before dinner.

BenImageImageImage
Wingman

Re:

Post by Wingman »

OK! I'm waiting and drooling for the finished pick. Don't leave a Wingman hanging with nothing but his bottle of Tequila!
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
MrLucyTheBoxer

Re:

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

Another hour later I opened the foil and they looked like this. Basted them again, then a quick sear, and back in the foil to rest a while...

MrLucyTheBoxer

Re:

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

Okay, it was eating time! Turned out pretty well, but I think I'll put the smoker even lower next time and cook them longer coz they were still a little chewy. I'd hope the connective tissue would break down more.

Anyway, here is the finished product!

ImageImage
Meat and eat

Re:

Post by Meat and eat »

MrLucy

Good effort.
I think you are right, they needed a bit more time cooking.
Keep at it, take notes etc and your ribs will just keep getting better and better.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
MrLucyTheBoxer

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

Yeah I initially had the BBQ probe sticking in the bottom level and was reading about 210F just above the water pan. After I looked at the meat for the first time I figured it must have been wrong so I put it in the top level and it was reading as high as 280F. I think this might have been part of the problem...

Gary

Re:

Post by Gary »

I cooked an asado beef rib the other day (along with some other stuff) and took it off the BBQ when the meat on the rib reached 200°F, it was without a doubt the best beef rib that I have ever cooked ...

MrLucyTheBoxer

Post by MrLucyTheBoxer »

Looks good!