DROVERS PRIDE PORTERHOUSE

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Anybody else tried this 'select range' from Coles, if so what's your opinion! i bought just one pack of two P'houses to try.

With all the hype packaging & $30 kg price i was hoping for the Holy Grail, Me - Charcoal nut - Mrs - loves her steak on the Genesis so i didn't even argue just went right ahead and Gassed em - (besides it does do a good job......for a gasser :) )

Never mind the mess on my plate.....that juice was just too good for the dog :mrgreen:

My opinion nice, tender.......but it's missing that real beef taste not the worst steak i've had but not sure it worth $30kg :shock: Might give it one more shot over Charcoal and see if that's any better.

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
titch

Re: DROVERS PRIDE PORTERHOUSE

Post by titch »

Looks a bit lean a cut to me, maybe some more marbling would be nice.
Do you have a Costco near you?
Cheers
Titch
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

titch wrote:Looks a bit lean a cut to me, maybe some more marbling would be nice. Yes Titch i was also thinking the same, but with the super duper hype on packet thought "give em a try"

No things happen a bit slower here :lol:
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
titch

Post by titch »

bbqmad wrote:
titch wrote:Looks a bit lean a cut to me, maybe some more marbling would be nice. Yes Titch i was also thinking the same, but with the super duper hype on packet thought "give em a try"

No things happen a bit slower here :lol:

probably too wet to build one , lol.
The Costco meat is pretty good
Cheers
Titch
donburke

Post by donburke »

price isn't always related to quality, most of the time yes, but not always

by comparison, meat emporium have angus porterhouse whole for 9.99/kg, I thought there was something suss, so I bought one piece (2kg) went home and cut it up into steaks, cooked and ate them, went back the next morning and bought another 8kg :D
overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

donburke wrote:price isn't always related to quality, most of the time yes, but not always

by comparison, meat emporium have angus porterhouse whole for 9.99/kg, I thought there was something suss, so I bought one piece (2kg) went home and cut it up into steaks, cooked and ate them, went back the next morning and bought another 8kg :D
I've taken to getting the $10.99/kg whole rump from Meat Emporium, great piece of meat. They're about 6kg and last me a far while.

No offence BBQMad but the $30kg porterhouse doesnt look 3 times as good to me.

Dave
beermee

Post by beermee »

Glen

It would be interesting to compare these steaks to some super butcher steaks. For $30kg we are in wagyu / diamond rib fillet territory at SB!

Gary
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

PaPaGeorGeo

Post by PaPaGeorGeo »

For any steak lovers id recommend finding a good butcher who has both grass and grain fed beef, cook some side by side and see which one you like.

Grass fed beef wont have the marbling of grain fed beef in most cases, so judging by marbling isn't the best indicator.
Last edited by PaPaGeorGeo on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LA1

Post by LA1 »

PaPaGeorGeo wrote:For any steak lovers id recommend finding a good butcher who has both grass and grain fed beef, cook some side by side and see which one you like.

Grass fed beef wont have the marbling of grain fed beef in most cases, so judging by marbling is the best indicator.
Totally agree re the good butcher. Disagree re marbling being the best indicator all the time. Some well marbled Beef can be very tender and have no flavour. Some grass fed Beef can have no marbling, be tender and have heaps of flavour. Of course, grain fed beef can also have good marbling, tender and good flavour.

Aside from knowing a good butcher, branded Beef is a great thing as it is sold on the attributes of the Beef ie grass or grain fed, how long on grain, how old at slaughter etc.
PaPaGeorGeo

Post by PaPaGeorGeo »

Agreed sorry a minor typo there I agree marbling isn't the best indicator.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

yeh last time at Meat Emporium we snagged a 150 day Grain Fed Angus whole Rump reduced to $10 kg bloody great meat nicely marbled and full of flavour and the best part is you get to cut to suit, cheers
Tas
LA1

Post by LA1 »

PaPaGeorGeo wrote:Agreed sorry a minor typo there I agree marbling isn't the best indicator.
All good. it does often translate to a tender cut, so if you dont know the provenance, it can be a good indicator
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I know there is some difference in nomenclature with cuts here and in the States. This almost looks like what I would call a Rib-Eye, but I think you all call that a Scotch Filet?

Does your Porterhouse come from the Rib section or another part?

Steak looks great and I like a Man that knows how to use Butter on a Baked potato!

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Hi Bentley,

For us I think T-Bone is what you call Porterhouse (with the bone in). Porterhouse for us is the large side of the T-bone cut from the bone, you call it New York Strip.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

nice diagram Chris I can show that one to the Finance Minister to explain what we buy 8)