Q Ham (Pickled Pork)

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
steinyboys

Re: Q Ham (Pickled Pork)

Post by steinyboys »

Captain Cook wrote:Something different, You can use a hooded BBQ or a kettle for this recipe, if you use a kettle add one piece of hickory at the beginning and 1 piece after about 40 minutes.

Home Made Q Ham
This recipe makes the best ham it is quick and easy to prepare. You can experiment with it to add different flavours or smoke it whilst you are cooking it. I use pre-packaged pickle pork (pork neck) from Safeways. Alternately you can ask your butcher to pickle a piece of neck for you.

1.2 – 1.5 Kg pickled pork
Glaze
1 level tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon water or
a couple of tablespoons of honey instead (my preference)

Rinse the pork under running water for about a minute to remove any surface salt and pat dry. Lightly brush the pork with oil. Preheat the Q on high for 10 minutes. Place the meat on a roasting trivet over a doubled over sheet of foil. Turn the Q down to a medium high setting and roast for about 1 hour. Mix the sugar and water together and microwave for 20 seconds (this will ensure that the sugar is dissolved) or use the honey, Glaze the meat by brushing well with the glaze. Continue cooking and glazing every 10 minutes until the internal meat temperature is 77 C. Total cooking time should be about 1 hour 30 minutes. Rest the ham for 10 minutes before carving.

Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”

Just got home from Woolworth's with a 1.5 picked pork, followed the recipe took about three hours to get to 170deg in my kettle, used combination honey and maple syrup wow easy and yum, sorry no pics, I had a huge fail last week wasting three kilos of pork using the Aussie BBQ smoke recipe for turn pork into ham, it was so salty after the ten days in the brine straight in the bin :cry: but this is very nice and easy will be doing it again and again thanks to Author easy peeasy
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

That's great but if you do it again, please buy it from a decent butcher. Woolies and Coles are not places to buy good meat from.
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

IT was a a lump of pickled pork and it was delicious lol
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
Jemlok

Post by Jemlok »

Yer, Its cool to use pre pickl pork to smoke up . My dad knows how and now I do to :o :) :) 8) but i dont have any bbqs :x :x
kiwiman

Post by kiwiman »

Did this tonight on Baby Q, little foil pack of smoke wood and glazed with honey with a dribble of balsamic for last half hour.
Magnificent, will be done a lot more in future.
Stewart
Image]Royal Kamado, Weber Q100e, Multikai Cooker, U-Bute portable, Auspit Rotisserie with firedish, Char-Griller , Italian portable charcoal grill, Weber One Touch Platinum, Dragon Hibachi.Weber Jumbo Joe, GMG Daniel Boone on loan
titch

Post by titch »

I,m bumping this post because someone asked me about today
Awesome camping stuff or poor mans Christmas Ham
Thanks Capt
Cheers
Titch
titch

Post by titch »

BTW
Merry Christmas Folks
Cheers
Titch
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G’day
Yep the same from me.
An aluminium pouch with some wood chips and a single hole……
Takes to the next level