WA - Porky's BBQ & Bar

Anything else NON- BBQ
wallyyz

WA - Porky's BBQ & Bar

Post by wallyyz »

There seems to be a new BBQ place soon to open in Northbridge, WA on Aberdeen Street, just up the road from the Game Bar (Old Aberdeen Hotel).

I have walked passed it multiple times now as their fitout progressed and have a few photos! I know it is rude mid fitout but who could help it! The pro's so far:
- They have a huge overhead rangehood/air filter and a nice rack full of fire wood so i am hoping it isnt just for show and they are about to roll in a nice stick burner!
- Heavy use of rich dark woods, metal and natural textures
- Cool exposed globe light feature in the back dining room
- Saloon style bar with rough railway sleepers and moose heads
- THEY HAVE BBQ IN THE NAME SO THEY WILL SELL BBQ!

They just launched their website!!!!!!
http://porkysbbq.com.au/
http://porkysbbq.com.au/docs/Porkys-Foo ... 201508.pdf

Any one with any info feel free to share!

Wally - Young BBQ Enthusiast!
Webber Kettle // Hark Offset // GMG Jim Bowie
alimac23

WA - Porky's BBQ & Bar

Post by alimac23 »

Looks good but pricey!
Bentley

Re: WA - Porky's BBQ & Bar

Post by Bentley »

$19.75 US for a full rack, well, cheaper then most places here...but $7.3 US for 3.5oz. of Brisket...That better be some Dang Fine Brisket!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

burb

Post by burb »

I stumbled past this as well the other night, got me very confused as I've been keeping an eye on this one that's meant to me opening up near me soon: https://www.facebook.com/porkiesbarbque?ref=un_c

2 bbq joints called porkies/porky's opening at roughly the same time? Strange.

Bit surprised to see a pizza offering dominate the menu like that - it's like the owners aren't confidant that bbq alone can carry the restaurant?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

burb wrote:
Bit surprised to see a pizza offering dominate the menu like that - it's like the owners aren't confidant that bbq alone can carry the restaurant?
Got to have something for the idiot vegetarian girlfriend and the kids to eat. Rocket and roast pumpkin pizza is perfect food for morons! :twisted:
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
wallyyz

Post by wallyyz »

burb wrote:I stumbled past this as well the other night, got me very confused as I've been keeping an eye on this one that's meant to me opening up near me soon: https://www.facebook.com/porkiesbarbque?ref=un_c
First post on their facebook i read they made reference to Masterchef thinking BBQ was hard and said our bbq isnt even a 'Yoda'.... :shock:

As for pricepoint it is similar to Old Faithful... which to be honest is not crash hot BBQ. If these guys do it authentic and pull it off I will be more than happy to frequent for the price.

I see pizza as a great option for using yesterdays meat so there isnt too much waste whilst they figure out demand.
Wally - Young BBQ Enthusiast!
Webber Kettle // Hark Offset // GMG Jim Bowie
burb

Post by burb »

After a plasma donation mid week in the city the nurse suggested that salty foods were good to eat so I met the wife and headed here to sample the bbq on offer.

Here's the cabinet smoker, nothing cooking in it on a Wednesday night sadly. Bags of Weber brand hickory chips and chunks on the shelves on the right - thought the stuff in jars up the top was a bread starter, but it was aged sauerkraut.

Got a sample tray. Ribs were good but not meaty, seems a restaurant can't fare much better than the public when it comes to sourcing meaty ribs. Brisket had good texture and flavour, started to dry out a little on the platter as time went on as it was all from the flat - prefer my brisket with a bit of bark however. Both the Pork and Beef sausage were a little on the dry side. Chopped pig was delicious. Sauce was a winner and sides were great.

Cool glossary of bbq terms and history on the tray paper, nice touch.

Would go again, probably on a night where the pit master was there to have a chat.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I was gonna comment on how well the sausage looked as far as cooking, not pucked as you see a lot of here, folks just simply over cook it. As far as it being dry, I always wonder if the fat content is just to low when I hear this. As I said, it does not look like it was over cooked, so that would not be issue. I guess I just don't look at sausage as a health food, so why not make it the way it should be done! Does a person that is gonna order it really think its is a alternative to say a salad?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

burb

Post by burb »

Agree about the fat content of the sausage Bentley, made that remark to the wife when I was eating it.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

These guys were reviewed in the West on the weekend....got an absolute caning!

They charge $1.50 for pickles and white bread...(should just come with the dish)....then the "Pickles" are Gerkins.....WHAT!

Tasteless Brisket...the list goes on!

Chris
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

I'm still waiting for the other Porkies to open. It's walking distance from my house but it has been delayed due to issues with the City of Bayswater over parking. They seem to have that sorted now though and should be hopefully opening up soon.

Still yet to try the place in Northbridge, will have to see if I can find the review from the West.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

SilentBoB wrote:I'm still waiting for the other Porkies to open. It's walking distance from my house but it has been delayed due to issues with the City of Bayswater over parking. They seem to have that sorted now though and should be hopefully opening up soon.

Still yet to try the place in Northbridge, will have to see if I can find the review from the West.
In the Saturday, Weekend West section, three pages in from the back, where the Restaurant review normally is.
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

urbangriller wrote:
In the Saturday, Weekend West section, three pages in from the back, where the Restaurant review normally is.
cheers mate!
burb

Post by burb »

If someone could scan the review I'd be keen to read it.

FWIW I gave this place another go last Friday night. Brisket was a lot better than the first time, good flavour and stayed nice and moist with fat slicked all over it. Got some dirty fries with chopped pork and blue cheese - pork in this was amazing, really good flavour, so that's 2 out of 2 for the chopped pig. Surprise hit of the night was the bbq chicken, wasn't available the first time we went as I think they didn't have the demand for it but glad it's back on the menu, really succulent and great bbq flavour.
urban griller wrote:$1.50 for pickles and white bread...(should just come with the dish)....then the "Pickles" are Gerkins.....WHAT!
Both times I've been there's been pickles on the platter, no bread so maybe you pay for that. To be honest every time I eat at Old Faithful the white bread gets left uneaten, I'm not into it as a side.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good offering at this place, still wish there wasn't such an emphasis on pizza on the menu but that's just me. They could do with expanding their tap beer selection, as well as the bottled beer selection and bourbon menu, it's all a bit usual suspects as it stands.
SilentBoB wrote:I'm still waiting for the other Porkies to open. It's walking distance from my house but it has been delayed due to issues with the City of Bayswater over parking. They seem to have that sorted now though and should be hopefully opening up soon.
Keen to try this as well, will be interesting given some of the stuff I've read about the issues they've had to date.
Nath

WA - Porky's BBQ & Bar

Post by Nath »

You'll be Q'in up your own brisket soon Burb. Cape grim, no need to go out:)

Nath
Nath