Quail and polenta

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
mrjack

Quail and polenta

Post by mrjack »

You need to keep stirring polenta. Not sure how that would work if you have to keep the lid down...
Richtee

Re: Quail and polenta

Post by Richtee »

Well, the polenta is made in a pot, not the oven. Grandma had a big ole copper pot for that. BTW..the "Instant Polenta" http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... A&dur=5829

Is quite good! And a heckuva lot faster...the plain stuff takes hours and you are always at risk scorching the bottom.

Far as the meat... that was made in a stewpot as well. a tomato base, sliced black cooking olives, basil, etc. I see no reason why you could not bring the quail to temp in the smoker and drop into the sauce pot tho. THe game was usually simmered till it started to fall off the bone, and ladeled over a hot pile of the polenta.
mrjack

Quail and polenta

Post by mrjack »

Polenta + Asiago = Yum!! Add a slice of sopressa salami for pure bliss :-)
Richtee

Post by Richtee »

PLAYLIFE wrote:The polenta will be made in a pot on a stove then sliced into pieces and halved - Asiago cheese is placed in between and then grilled (final part to be done in the Weber). Guess I'll just give it a shot and see how it goes.

It's similar to this recipes although we don't usually skewer the quail.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008 ... ecipe.html

Thanks for the responses.
OK..that'll work. What I suggested was a very traditional method- my grandparents were from Milano.
sydking

Post by sydking »

Polenta is easy, Just keep siring, Give that job to the missus. Then spread in a lasagne dish and cool, Slice, Brush with oil and bake as you said.

Were about in north italy, My ole boys from the same, Mantova.
Richtee

Post by Richtee »

sydking wrote:Polenta is easy, Just keep siring, Give that job to the missus. Then spread in a lasagne dish and cool, Slice, Brush with oil and bake as you said.
:D

We'd do that with the left over polenta..and always made sure there WAS leftovers... to fry up like you mention for breakfast or as a side for another meal. Delish!