Quail

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
davida

Quail

Post by davida »

Has anybody tried quail in a Q220? Did an experiment with a couple the other night. Whole clove of garlic + lump of cheddar + lump of chorizo inside and then wrap each bird in a rasher of bacon. Cooked on the roasting trivet after normal warm up. The little weber book suggests roast for 15 - 20 min. No way were they cooked after 20 min (200 degrees C maintained). Ended up cooking for 35 min. They were moist and delicious.

Anybody else had any experience with quail?

cheers

David
Captain Cook

Re: Quail

Post by Captain Cook »

David

A belated Welcome to the Forum. Sorry no-one responded to your previous post about Butchers in Adelaide.

Quail sounds great, Fantastic to see you trying different things on the Q, A wonderful BBQ which can be used in so many different ways. I have butterflied quail, marinated them with some light soy, honey and Szechuan pepper and grilled them over a moderate low heat on the trivet without any foil. I wanted to lift them up off the grill to reduce the searing/ burning. They only took a few minutes per side. I have also done them using the same cooking method after dipping them in an egg wash followed by coating them in a mixture of flour, finely copped chilli, coriander, Szechuan pepper and salt.

Both ways were good though I found the flour one a bit drier Maybe I should have sprayed them with a litle oil before cooking.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

I love quail (in a restaurant and deboned); haven't tried them on the BBQ yet... so can't comment.
Another thing for me to do in 2010!

Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
davida

Post by davida »

Thanks, Phil. Can you quantitate "moderate low heat" & "a few minutes", please.

One of the great things I have found with the Q220 (which I was given as a retirement present at the end of 2009 - anyone jealous?) is that following the directions, esp. cooking times, in the weber book gives great results.

As an article of faith, the third thing I ccoked in it was Xmas lunch - a 2.5kg duck and a 1.9 kg chook. Probably the best roast poultry I have ever had. 2h exactly and it was 82 degrees on the meat thermometer.

cheers

David
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

It was before I converted my Q200 to a Q220 (Changed the lid)
From memory I had it about 4 or 5 strokes from the high setting and it was about 4 to 5 minutes a side. Bone side down first.
It has to be at least 3 years ago.

Cheers

Cap'n
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

The big Kicker here is that, David did the right thing for the circumstances on the day.
David, You said 200Deg C, Where was that ? If on the lid then take that reading as only a guide,
Temp at the grill is what is king. Measuring this is the only way to find out if say, 200 at top = 180 on the grill (example only)
Ive found this on many hood down cooking BBQ's. Its a case of trial and error.
Quail are oily little buggers and can stand some moderate heat.
I get the feeling from over time that the Capt grilles at the top end of the heat scale. By his very nature and expertise, He gets results and can do it bloody well.
If you get birds that seem to lag, Then raise your temp. But also raise your attention given to whats going on under the lid. There is a thin line when grilling, I have often found myself in the exact position you describe, But I dont worrie, Just keep cooking and it will be done when is done.
Reverse sear is a friend :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Yep You are correct Mick
It is a time versus temp thing I look at the Lid Temp before I start and then look at the lid temp once the meat has gone on and stabilised
Experience has taught me about what to cook at what lid temp for what thickness and what to turn it down to or up to when it goes on or when it is cooking too slow or quick. I do grill a lot at the top end of the temp scale to produce those great sear marks, but you will note that it is usually for only 2 1/2 minutes per side.
Lid temp partly relates to grill temp and it depends on whether I want convection or grilling or both. It also depends on what searing I want and what marinade I have used.
The key element is to experiment and learn the intricacies of your BBQ(s). On the Q it is also about preheat time, you can have a lid temp of 475 after 4-5 minutes but the grill will be hot only on the surface, when you throw the meat on it takes all the surface heat away and takes longer to cook and you only get light sear marks.
Keep in mind that all recipe books are a guide only.

Keep up the good work David

Cheers

phil
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

My favorite thing to do with Quail is to brine it using the brine from the olives sold in my local Italian Deli.............a semi perminant supply costs me a slab and a couple of bottles of fiz at Xmas!

Cheetrs
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!