Piri-Piri Chicken (No more Take Away)

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
urbangriller

Piri-Piri Chicken (No more Take Away)

Post by urbangriller »

Piri-Piri Chicken
(Grilled Chicken with Piri-Piri Sauce)

This recipe requires the food to be basted with molho de piri-piri while grilling, you will need to make the molho de piri-piri at least two days in advance and marinate the chicken one day in advance. Flare-ups, of course, are inevitable. To avoid charring your food beyond recognition, turn it often, move it to a cooler end of the grill, or adjust the flame.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Molho de piri-piri (see recipe bellow)
1 teaspoon Paprika
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Salt
One orange Cut into small segments (leave the skin on)
Whole chicken, butterflied by removing the spine (this ensures the breasts are on the inside when flattened and protected from drying out by the ribcage).

Method:
1. In a blender, mix together all the ingredients except, then set aside.

2. Place the chicken breast side down. Using poultry shears, cut along one side of the backbone, then the other. Discard the bone, or use it for stock. Turn the chicken breast side up, open it and press down firmly with your palms to flatten it, then beat the chicken with a rolling pin or mallet to flatten it. Place it in a flat tray and coat it generously with the marinade. Cover and allow to marinate for several hours, or better still, overnight, in the refrigerator.

3. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it return to room temperature. Meanwhile, heat a gas BBQ or charcoal grill to a medium heat. Baste the chicken with marinade, place it breast side down on the grill and cook until the skin is a deep brown and shows grill marks, about 12 to 15 minutes. Flip and repeat, for about another 15 minutes. The chicken is cooked when the internal temperature of the breast reaches 83 degrees Celsius (use a digital meat thermometer). For an extra kick of heat, brush the chicken with fresh molho de piri-piri just before serving.

Molho de Piri-Piri
(Portuguese Hot-Pepper Sauce)

If the following recipe proves too mild, stir in a good-size pinch of crushed chilli flakes.

Ingredients:
Two or three fresh hot chillies, chopped
Four tablespoons Lemon juice or lime juice (or cider vinegar)
Four tablespoons Grapeseed oil (Grapeseed oil doesn’t burn as easily as olive oil)......I like to use Red Palm Oil.
½ cup Red-wine vinegar
One tablespoon Cayenne pepper or dried chilli, or one tablespoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
One teaspoon Minced garlic (commercial take-away joints use the stuff in a jar, or dried; fresh crushed garlic will give a better result)
One tablespoon Paprika (I use smoked paprika, a gourmet food shop will have sweet, mild and hot)
One teaspoon Salt
One teaspoon Dried or fresh oregano

Method:
1. Remove the stems from the chillies. Place all the ingredients (including the seeds) in a food processor and purée. Pour the mixture into a small glass jar and let steep for at least 24 hours, preferably 1 week, in the refrigerator.
The Sauce will keep for 1 month.
Shake well before using.

Brush liberally on to the Piri Piri chicken in the last 15 minutes of cooking and serve a bowl on the table as a dipping sauce, mix some with a good imported whole egg mayonnaise for the whimps.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Great recipe thanks!!
Will endeavour to cook and post the result soon!!! :D
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Stevo

Piri piri

Post by Stevo »

I have to make this!! sounds so tasty, just gotta decide which beer to brew to go with it, so many beers so little time :D
karmick

Re: Piri-Piri Chicken (No more Take Away)

Post by karmick »

I made this piri piri sauce last weekend and marinated some chicken breasts in it...the result was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe. It's better than any of the piri piri sauces I've bought off the shelf by far!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I agree.
I rekon it tastes better with lemon juice then some of the substitutes listed.
This recipie is the real thing. AND right here.
Top work Urban Griller.
I now have an insperation to revisit this :D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Thanks Lads.

I keep a batch of Molho de Piri-Piri in my fridge pretty much all the time (I don't mind the lime version).

Chris
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

I've made some up too, looking forward to trying it.
One thing, I would be careful to remember not to use metalic trays but glass or non reactive trays as this is plenty acidic...and also, when you finish using some trickle some oil back on top before putting it in the fridge.
This created a seal and will lengthen shelf life.
I'm fascinated by the use of the whole orange, looking forward to cooking this in a few days time.I added a lot more chili, otherwise went by the book.
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Just tasted it to see how it is going.
I didn't measure carefully as I was multi tasking and I think I used too much red wine vinegar and I also need more chili...I'll adjust it today...but it is tasting good!
I used lemon this time but suspect I'd like the lime more...next time I'll use the limes.
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi ,

here is a quick Peri-Peri bush on , I got this one from mate who own a Portuguese chicken BBQ shop. and before they would wrap it up they would brush this on for extra kick. works very well.
Peri Peri Sauce
10 – 12 Birdseye chillies, chopped finely (medium size & heat)
Pinch salt
Juice of ½ lemon I have use lime as well not bad.
100mls olive oil
2 tbsp garlic powder (not crushed garlic will be too runny) the garlic powder help thicken the sauce.
Mix all ingredients into a thick dipping sauce

I have also marinated chicken breast in it and char grilled not to bad.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
rosecran

Post by rosecran »

I used my own Chicken spice rub on these brined beauties, and used Chris' Piri-Piri sauce as a baste. Turned out great so yummy!!!

Moist, Tender and Juicy Portuguese Chicken halves!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

OK That's it....we are never having chicken as a competition challenge! :roll:

Nice work Rosecran!

Cheers
Chris
MrBrown

Post by MrBrown »

well I'm an idiot. I worked late tonight, just finished. No dinner but I thought bugger it I'll do without I'm not too hungry.

then I read this.

That leg of pork's getting a gnawing :lol:
sosman

Post by sosman »

That looks awesome! I do so much indirect cooking in the kamado that I hardly get around to grilling chicken like that.
rosecran

Post by rosecran »

Thanks Fellas! These beauties were indirect with lid on to begin with and I just reversed seared it while basting with Chris' Molho de piri piri sauce recipe. nom nom nom nom
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Molho de Piri-Piri
(Portuguese Hot-Pepper Sauce)

If the following recipe proves too mild, stir in a good-size pinch of crushed chilli flakes.

Ingredients:
Two or three fresh hot chillies, chopped
Four tablespoons Lemon juice or lime juice (or cider vinegar)
Four tablespoons Grapeseed oil (Grapeseed oil doesn’t burn as easily as olive oil)......I like to use Red Palm Oil.
½ cup Red-wine vinegar
One tablespoon Cayenne pepper or dried chilli, or one tablespoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
One teaspoon Minced garlic (commercial take-away joints use the stuff in a jar, or dried; fresh crushed garlic will give a better result)
One tablespoon Paprika (I use smoked paprika, a gourmet food shop will have sweet, mild and hot)
One teaspoon Salt
One teaspoon Dried or fresh oregano

Method:
1. Remove the stems from the chillies. Place all the ingredients (including the seeds) in a food processor and purée. Pour the mixture into a small glass jar and let steep for at least 24 hours, preferably 1 week, in the refrigerator.
The Sauce will keep for 1 month.
Shake well before using.

Brush liberally on to the Piri Piri chicken in the last 15 minutes of cooking and serve a bowl on the table as a dipping sauce, mix some with a good imported whole egg mayonnaise for the whimps.

URBAN GRILLER
http://www.urbangriller.com
Always Play With Your Foodurbangriller

Chris,
Im thinking I will make this sauce with some of my Jolokia or Naga chillies.
However, I want to bottle it in woozies for indefinite room temp storage.
What would you add / take away/ change to do such a thing?

Private messageWebsite
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au