Gourmet Brined Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Flippo

Re: Gourmet Brined Chicken

Post by Flippo »

Would Worstershire Sauce add umami to things? I put it in lots of savoury stuff and I reckon it boosts flavour heaps, as long as you get the balance right
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Very much so, Its full of anchovy
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Teebs

Post by Teebs »

Gave the recipe a try on the weekend and have to say it was fantastic! New convert to brining from now on.

Many thanks

Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Well Done Teebs.

Another convert to the Gourmet Brined Chicken recipe
At the time of posting this we have had over 28,534 hits on this topic, the amount of converts to this recipe is absolutely staggering.

Cheers

Captain
stephenk

Post by stephenk »

After the recommendations of trying umami ingredients, I cooked two chickens on the Q220 for a large family meal, one based on Captain Cook's recipe with Chinese 5 spice, and the other based on the video linked below, with umami ingredients (soy sauce and worcestershire sauce). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyo0KEfpytI

Chinese 5 Spice Chicken brine
1.25 litres water
1/4 cup dextrose powder
1/4 cup ground himalayan mountain salt
1 heaped teaspoon mustard powder
1 heaped teaspoon garlic powder
1 heaped teaspoon chinese 5 spice
Lightly seasoned before cooking with more chinese 5 spice

Umami Chicken brine
1.25 litres water
1/4 cup dextrose powder
1/4 cup soy sauce (gluten-free)
1/8 cup worcestershire sauce (gluten-free)
1 heaped tablespoon minced garlic
1 not quite a tablespoon of ground black pepper
4 bay leaves (which were later placed in cavity before cooking)
Lightly seasoned before cooking with salt, pepper, and garlic powder

The chickens cooked faster than expected (1hr for two 1.3kg chickens at approx. 210C), and one chicken was at 87C whilst the other was at 82C (breast measurements) when taken of the Q220. Due to the brining, both were still very juicy with great taste. I preferred by Chinese 5 spice chicken, but the consensus of opinion was that both chickens were as good as each other. I've converted quite a few more people to brined chicken!

< I tried to attach a photo, but got the message "Sorry the board attachment quote has been reached" >
Gumb

Gourmet Brined Chicken

Post by Gumb »

stephenk wrote:
< I tried to attach a photo, but got the message "Sorry the board attachment quote has been reached" >
You can't attach photos, you have to upload them to the web (e.g photobucket) and insert the link in your posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kiwiman

Post by kiwiman »

I am another convert--cooked tonight on Baby Q and the family was really impressed.
Thanks for the recipe .
Stewart
Image]Royal Kamado, Weber Q100e, Multikai Cooker, U-Bute portable, Auspit Rotisserie with firedish, Char-Griller , Italian portable charcoal grill, Weber One Touch Platinum, Dragon Hibachi.Weber Jumbo Joe, GMG Daniel Boone on loan
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

stephenk wrote:After the recommendations of trying umami ingredients, I cooked two chickens on the Q220 for a large family meal, one based on Captain Cook's recipe with Chinese 5 spice, and the other based on the video linked below, with umami ingredients (soy sauce and worcestershire sauce). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyo0KEfpytI

1.25 litres water
1/4 cup dextrose powder

Umami Chicken brine
1.25 litres water
1/4 cup dextrose powder

The chickens cooked faster than expected (1hr for two 1.3kg chickens at approx. 210C), and one chicken was at 87C whilst the other was at 82C (breast measurements) when taken of the Q220. Due to the brining, both were still very juicy with great taste. I preferred by Chinese 5 spice chicken, but the consensus of opinion was that both chickens were as good as each other. I've converted quite a few more people to brined chicken!

Step, You need to think about the salt levels in other ingreedients, Soy & Worcestershire are very salty, so back off with the bulk salt .
For 1.25 lt liquid you can go as low as 1.25 Tbs total salt and brine for 12 hours.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

kiwiman wrote:I am another convert--cooked tonight on Baby Q and the family was really impressed.
Thanks for the recipe .
Stewart
Thanks Kiwiman

The list of converts continues to grow longer and longer

Captain
stephenk

Post by stephenk »

Smokey Mick wrote:
stephenk wrote:After the recommendations of trying umami ingredients, I cooked two chickens on the Q220 for a large family meal, one based on Captain Cook's recipe with Chinese 5 spice, and the other based on the video linked below, with umami ingredients (soy sauce and worcestershire sauce). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyo0KEfpytI

1.25 litres water
1/4 cup dextrose powder

Umami Chicken brine
1.25 litres water
1/4 cup dextrose powder

Step, You need to think about the salt levels in other ingreedients, Soy & Worcestershire are very salty, so back off with the bulk salt .
For 1.25 lt liquid you can go as low as 1.25 Tbs total salt and brine for 12 hours.
Yes, it was a bit salty, but not excessively. I'll probably use 1/8 cup of salt next time I try the Unami Chicken brine.
salandaar

Post by salandaar »

Thank you for the recipe Captain, tried it last week came out very well, did it on my baby Q, I want to do the same again this week, have already got the chicken in brine for tomorrow, this time I am using chicken breast rather than the whole chicken, I am going to wrap the chicken in streaky bacon put on the trivett indirect, I am thinking cooking to Internal temp of about 77 to try to prevent it from drying out, I think this will give me a cook time of about 1 hour and 5 minutes approximately does this sound about right,

I am also thinking of putting a small smoker box in during the cook.

any advice appreciated.

Andy
British by birth
English by the grace of God
Aussie by choice
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

salandaar wrote:Thank you for the recipe Captain, tried it last week came out very well, did it on my baby Q, I want to do the same again this week, have already got the chicken in brine for tomorrow, this time I am using chicken breast rather than the whole chicken, I am going to wrap the chicken in streaky bacon put on the trivett indirect, I am thinking cooking to Internal temp of about 77 to try to prevent it from drying out, I think this will give me a cook time of about 1 hour and 5 minutes approximately does this sound about right,

I am also thinking of putting a small smoker box in during the cook.

any advice appreciated.

Andy
Here is another way of cooking that.
Plait the Bacon, lay the breasts on it and wrap them, Tie with a couple of loops of string. Wrap that in Baking paper then a double layer of foil, cook indirect for 30 minutes, remove the foil and baking paper and grill on direct heat turning regularly till 77 internal and the bacon is cooked.

That method also works well with minced. chicken, lamb, beef etc. Brine first before mincing.

As for the smoking I think that the smoker tubes etc that are on the market would be a much better option inthe Q series. I haven't tried them as yet but think that they would be a lot better than the smoker boxes.

Cheers

Captain
Percel

Post by Percel »

Brined and charcoal a bird last night, family attacked for me not cooking two.

Can't believe it took me this long!
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

YES - it's awesome and so much better than what you've had before. Last week, i tried to fast-track the brining time, by injecting the chook with a mixture that was made for a 5hr brine. Chook was good, but way over the top in saltiness/5 spice mixture etc.

If you're injecting, then the mixture needs to be much closer to the 24hr brine mix, rather than the faster 6hr mix.

Always learning.
salandaar

Post by salandaar »

Here is another way of cooking that.
Plait the Bacon, lay the breasts on it and wrap them, Tie with a couple of loops of string. Wrap that in Baking paper then a double layer of foil, cook indirect for 30 minutes, remove the foil and baking paper and grill on direct heat turning regularly till 77 internal and the bacon is cooked.

That method also works well with minced. chicken, lamb, beef etc. Brine first before mincing.

As for the smoking I think that the smoker tubes etc that are on the market would be a much better option inthe Q series. I haven't tried them as yet but think that they would be a lot better than the smoker boxes.

Cheers

Captain[/quote]

Thanks for the additional info, I decided on the KISS principle and simply wrapped brined chicken and cooked to an internal temp indirect using the smoke box for the first time, what came out was the best most moist chicken breast with a lovely smokey flavour, i really got the taste of the smoke, which I wasn't expecting, whenever i try something different on the webber I always get wife and young bloke to award points out of ten, [ they have been brutal in the past :evil: ] anyway a clear 10 and a 9.8 said it all, this is the only way i shall do chicken now.
captain thank you, now your advice on smoking a nice joint of beek please.

andy
British by birth
English by the grace of God
Aussie by choice