Gourmet Brined Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Smokey

Re: Gourmet Brined Chicken

Post by Smokey »

Percel wrote:Brined and charcoal a bird last night, family attacked for me not cooking two.

Can't believe it took me this long!
Love it, :)
This is a recipe we must protect and own.
My family always ask's for the captains when it comes to roast ckicken.
Its an institution now :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Just took one out of the overnight brine, will be on the spit late this afternoon covered in a good dose of Nostimini.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Trods

Post by Trods »

New to the Weber Q this year; tried the gourmet brined chicken tonight. First roast chicken I've ever cooked and it was sensational - will be cooking another soon!
cobber

Re: Gourmet Brined Chicken and Asian Spices

Post by cobber »

I have brined Chicken Maryland before but am trying my first whole brined chicken tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

I found these spices at a local Asian food store and my family and friends said that its better than KFC. A packet has enough to easily do two whole chickens.

Give it a go sometime if you are inclined.

joey13

Post by joey13 »

Cooking a leg of lamb on the weber kettle on Friday night. Thinking of putting captains chicken beside it.

Using 25 beads per side, how long would a #18 chicken take to cook?
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

1hr and a qtr ish. Maybe 5-10 mins longer as the lamb will absorb heat in the cooking chamber
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

2browndogs wrote:1hr and a qtr ish. Maybe 5-10 mins longer as the lamb will absorb heat in the cooking chamber
Good call 2browndogs - 1:20 and check for doneness - should be spot on.

Captain
the dane

Post by the dane »

have to admit, it was a very tasty chicken! added a teaspoon of masala!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
rotten

Post by rotten »

Chicken looks good. Its a shame you had to drink that horrible yellow can with it though :P

sent from my emtying glass
Gator

Post by Gator »

About to put my first brined chicken in the Ziggy. I don't have a trivet (I'm new to this). Is putting it on a roasting rack inside a roasting pan on the bbq going to have the same effect? Upside is that I can roast my veggies in there as well, in foil. So much to learn.
Carnivore
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Should work fine Gator - enjoy Once you experience the brine, you wont go back to ordinary chicken
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Just don't have it sitting on the bottom of the pan. You need the heat to go around the bird. Pans are not ideal so try sitting the bird on a cake rack with foil underneath to act like a trivet. It has to be indirect heat and while pans full of spuds are ok, for a first attempt you should just concentrate on the chicken and do the vegies elsewhere.
Gator

Post by Gator »

Noted for next time. Hopefully by then, I will have a trivet. It's turned out well. Pics to be posted later. Dinner time!
Carnivore
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Good stuff :D as long as it tastes good it's a success.
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

I tried this recipe yesterday, my fifth effort on my Primo Kamado. I have never tried brining before, in fact I would have associated it with corned silverside or pickled pork. How wrong could I be!! Cooked at 188/9C until the internal temperature was 83C. Beautiful. After her first bite the wife asked if I could cook two at once. We are converted. I must delve deeper into brining. A couple of points. I couldn't find mustard powder so used some allspice. Where can I buy mustard powder? I was tempted to put in a tsp of mustard but decided not to. I sat the chicken on a beer can chicken roaster but didn't have a can of beer to put in it. Has anyone tried using (part of) a can of guinness? Thank you Captain Cook,

Bob