Charcoal Chicken shop taste??

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Howdy :)

Does anyone know what kind of rub/marinade/spice your average charcoal chicken shop uses?

Want to try and surprise the Mrs - See if the local takeaway can spare a few cardboard take away boxes too 8)
DaveW

Proud owner of 'Red Mist' Royal Kamado, 'The Green Imp' Sakura Imperial Kamado 'circa 1970 and a Weber GA that, well....... goes anywhere! :D

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!
Smokey

Re: Charcoal Chicken shop taste??

Post by Smokey »

Some are brined and some just rub in chicken salt prior to cooking.
The flavour comes from the lump charcoal and the juiciness come from the rotisserie.
I get the same result from a little mini spit.
Heat beads wont do it but help to cook If you make a mix to conserve the X'y lump
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

I do the same as Smokey Mick on a mini spit, the litle flair ups from the fat on the charcoal makes my backyard smell like the chicken shop

I also sprinkle a little of the Masterfoods Moroccan seasoning over before it goes on to cook, delicious

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Dave

S Mick & Glenn nailed it real charcoal, rotisserie & what ya rub on it :)

This beats any chicken coop (shop)
Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Thanks lads, will give it a crack in the Royal :D
DaveW

Proud owner of 'Red Mist' Royal Kamado, 'The Green Imp' Sakura Imperial Kamado 'circa 1970 and a Weber GA that, well....... goes anywhere! :D

billtch

Post by billtch »

DaveW I'm intrigued by why you want to produce food like the local takeaway shop. Seems to me that a fast food shop and home cooking are diametrically opposed!!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Valid question!

We have fond memories of a particular charcoal chicken shop and the associated flavours from the early days of our courtship, tomorrow is Valentines Day and I wanted to have a crack at a similar meal.

Figure that's a good enough reason.
DaveW

billtch

Post by billtch »

Sure is Dave!!! Good luck with it!
peter yeoman

Post by peter yeoman »

try Nostimini from Gaganis bros in adelaide, google there name and have a look..Nostimini is said to be the tastiest flavouring for meat,poultry and seafood ( thats what is says on the container, 350 grams ). I have tried it and i am very impressed
Jars

Post by Jars »

peter yeoman wrote:try Nostimini from Gaganis bros in adelaide, google there name and have a look..Nostimini is said to be the tastiest flavouring for meat,poultry and seafood ( thats what is says on the container, 350 grams ). I have tried it and i am very impressed
I agree with this! It's great stuff!

Their warehouse/store is just down the road from my place. If anyone wants some of this stuff, im more than happy to pick some up and post it at cost. just send me a PM :D
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Flippo

Post by Flippo »

I have never made this rub but am going too real soon.

And I'm going to put it on some chicken and cook it over charcoal.

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl50617d.htm

Others might like to try and report back what you think.

Happy cooking
sitiesrule

Post by sitiesrule »

Wow! Just got one of these Bunnings mini spit roasters for Chrissy.

Totally new to cooking with briquettes etc, but because a friend lent us a Weber for Chrissy to cook our pork on, I had to read up about charcoal, cooking techniques etc.

Anyway, son then presented us with this mini-spit roaster from Bunnings as a Chrissy present. Studied up on it a bit, got hubby to manufacture a bit of a wire grill on the bottom to lay the heat beads on.

Put the heat beads on top of 3 ior 4 firelighters in a large coffee tin (with holes drilled in the bottom to get them burning well)

Used a mixture of red heat beads plus some Redheads organic wood ones...once well burning, scattered them over the grill (hubby made) on the bottom of the spit roaster.

Used this charcoal chicken rub" "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVreKD2orc"

Cooked it for one & a half hours...never tasted something SO AUTHENTIC!!

Bloody Ripper! (even chucked in some spuds wrapped in foil onto the coals)

I was very dubious, as I've never done anything like this before, but it was mouth-watering beautiful!

I think I am definitely converted...I really thought this sort of stuff was going to be a steep learning curve....but oh my....i don't really think so....this was SO authentic. Bloody beautiful!
dales133

Post by dales133 »

My UDS with the valve wide open gets pretty hot and chickens come out fantastic, fat drips down and adds flavour and gets a good char but its far away from the heat source not to nail it to bad, it's my goto chicken cooker, plus I can do about 10 at once
Scandrew

Post by Scandrew »

Any further recommendations?

Just purchased a mini-spit from Anaconda ($60, 50% off) and am wanting to make charcoal chicken like they do in the Lebanese places. i.e El Jannah, Awafi, Habibs w/ garlic sauce, etc.

I attempted it the other day, the meat was smoky/tasty on the outside but the charcoal/saltiness flavour didn't seem to penetrate deep into the meat. Maybe a brine is in order.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Doing one tonight although in the Q, fire ban in force.

Been brining overnight with some chili from the garden, mustard and ginger and some italian spices plus black pepper.

Taking it out shortly to dry then will give it a splash of lemon and EVO and some Cape Texas steakhouse rub.

In the Q on a non-rotating spit, as Nath mentioned the Q sort of cooks all round anyway, the spit is just a U shaped stainless thing for cooking chooks that I've had for years. Some smoke from the box and it should be pretty good, will let you know :) It's about the fifth chook this year but the first with the Texas rub.

Pretty hard to go wrong with chooks in the Q I'm finding, especially brined :)

Still not as good as over charcoal though, roll on autumn :)

Cheers