Charcoal Chicken shop taste??

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Captain Cook

Re: Charcoal Chicken shop taste??

Post by Captain Cook »

Scandrew wrote:Any further recommendations?

Just purchased a mini-spit from Anaconda ($60, 50% off) and am wanting to make charcoal chicken like they do in the Lebanese places. i.e El Jannah, Awafi, Habibs w/ garlic sauce, etc.

I attempted it the other day, the meat was smoky/tasty on the outside but the charcoal/saltiness flavour didn't seem to penetrate deep into the meat. Maybe a brine is in order.
Use this recipe on your spit with charcoal.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65#p168

Captain
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Just purchased a mini-spit from Anaconda ($60, 50% off) and am wanting to make charcoal chicken like they do in the Lebanese places. i.e El Jannah, Awafi, Habibs w/ garlic sauce, etc.

I attempted it the other day, the meat was smoky/tasty on the outside but the charcoal/saltiness flavour didn't seem to penetrate deep into the meat. Maybe a brine is in order.
You want to split the chook and you'll need a rotisserie basket ie Portugese style(same method as style you mentioned above)
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

LA1 wrote:

You want to split the chook and you'll need a rotisserie basket ie Portugese style(same method as style you mentioned above)
^^^Essential advice!!
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Giddyup

Post by Giddyup »

peter yeoman wrote:try Nostimini from Gaganis bros in adelaide, google there name and have a look..Nostimini is said to be the tastiest flavouring for meat,poultry and seafood ( thats what is says on the container, 350 grams ). I have tried it and i am very impressed
Yep. Nostimini is the gear to use for the authentic charcoal chicken shop taste.
Nath

Post by Nath »

Chris G. I don't think there is a fireban in place in Perth today is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I'm not sure mate, next door neighbour but two said it was likely in the Northern suburbs, he's a firey, especially after the fire in Edgewater in the week.

Been quiet though, the water bombers usually come straight over us if it's a fire north of Heathridge, my home brew and legal NDB they like :)

A bit too late for me, although the chook did not get cooked last night, way too hot, so it brined longer.

Now drying a bit in the fridge after a good rub, put it on once the sun goes down :)

It's a bit painful sometimes knowing if there is a ban or not or where, I just ask the firey but he's not there today.

Cheers
SpiralGalaxy

Post by SpiralGalaxy »

chrisg wrote:
It's a bit painful sometimes knowing if there is a ban or not or where, I just ask the firey but he's not there today.

Cheers
I use this site http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/totalfirebans ... fault.aspx it has all the information.

Bryan
gnol

Post by gnol »

Cook on the spit over charcoal. Cant go wrong. Punish the neighbours.

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

SpiralGalaxy wrote:
chrisg wrote:

Cheers
I use this site http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/totalfirebans ... fault.aspx it has all the information.

Bryan
:)

I do as well, but information on the net can get badly outdated and won't wash with a Ranger...

Irritating but the net is not necessarily real-time.

Cheers
Percel

Post by Percel »

gnol wrote:Cook on the spit over charcoal. Cant go wrong. Punish the neighbours.

hey Gnol, looks awesome!

How much charcoal would you need for one bird?
gnol

Post by gnol »

Not exactly sure Percel. But it does waste a lot. Just have to have that flavour sometimes.
Nath

Post by Nath »

Id say the FESA website would be regularly updated. And if a ranger said otherwise and you checked the official FESA/DFES site you'd be alright. That's the site I look at before sparking up.

Nath
Percel

Post by Percel »

gnol wrote:Not exactly sure Percel. But it does waste a lot. Just have to have that flavour sometimes.

Thanks Gnol, every time I see that bird on the spit I get a little hungry.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Busio90 wrote:Id say the FESA website would be regularly updated. And if a ranger said otherwise and you checked the official FESA/DFES site you'd be alright. That's the site I look at before sparking up.

Yeah, I'd hope so, but it's not always the case, the site can be difficult to get to sometimes as well.

Cheers
Nath

Post by Nath »

I just google fire ban wa from my phone. That's the first thing to pop up :). Or ask Siri if you have that kind of igadget

Nath