Peri Peri Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Santo

Re: Peri Peri Chicken

Post by Santo »

hey guys

im looking at doing the amfibius chicken recipe tomorrow with some chicken marylands...very excited!

I have a ProQ bullet smoker, which max's out temperature at say approx 250F... but i dont think that this will be hot enough to cook the chicken?

I was thinking about putting the marinated chicken marylands in the bullet smoker for say 20-30 mins to give it the smokey flavour and then finishing them off in the oven?

Any suggestions for cooking temps or times?

cheers!
Look, I think there's been a mistake.... Did you say Steak!?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Santo wrote:hey guys

im looking at doing the amfibius chicken recipe tomorrow with some chicken marylands...very excited!

I have a ProQ bullet smoker, which max's out temperature at say approx 250F... but i dont think that this will be hot enough to cook the chicken?

I was thinking about putting the marinated chicken marylands in the bullet smoker for say 20-30 mins to give it the smokey flavour and then finishing them off in the oven?

Any suggestions for cooking temps or times?

cheers!
Take the water pan out and grill on the top shelf. Easy get superb result. Use the bottom vents to keep a 400-450 F temp top vent full open.
Drippings will splash the fire and drive up fair dinkum real flavour.
As long as you keep that temp, You should not have to look that much and there should be no flames apart from the spit / drip flare up every few five seconds or so
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Santo

Post by Santo »

Thanks mate

I ended up getting 2 butterflied whole chickens....any idea how long they will take to cook roughly at those temps?

I really don't wanna f)$& them up!

Massive cookup planned tomorrow...wings, pulled pork and butterflied chickens!

Look, I think there's been a mistake.... Did you say Steak!?
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

Santo, it is impossible to advise you on cooking times because there are too many variables. I don't know how hot your fire is, whether you are using charcoal or briquettes, how many you are going to use, whether you have a Kamado or Weber, or even if it is going to be windy (more wind = bigger fire). All I can say is - COOK TO TEMPERATURE. When your chicken reaches 65C in the thickest part (joint of leg) then it is done. It should take approximately 20-40 minutes depending on the size of your fire, size of your chicken, etc.

This is my recommendation. If you are going to cook a whole butterflied chicken, you should cook indirect, breast side up. Rotate the bird 180 degrees halfway, about 15 minutes and check that the bottom is not charred. Continue until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken, open the vents, and allow the fire to build up. Then turn it breast side down over direct heat to char it a little - you only need about 10-20 seconds. The fat from the chicken will drip onto the coals and cause flares. Be sure to keep a really close eye on it - remove it JUST as it is starting to char and no later!

If you are cooking two butterflied chickens, you won't have space to cook both of them indirect. I recommend you roast them in your oven till they are about 55C, and then finish off the cooking over direct heat on charcoal. You can either do this, or you could install a heat deflector in your (kamado?) for the first part of the cook and remove it for the second.
Image Image Image
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Fib, Hes got a ProQ smoker.
So nice even heat in a tall box.
Two butterflied buzzards just jamb them in .
Wont matter much, Then roast away. Maybe an hour or two.
Turn to sear the skin side as Fib says. All that skin fat sends up great bbq flavour.

What are you doing pulled Pork on? , Its one or the other unless you have another BBQ .
For pork pulled Id be starting about right now.
what other tools have you got?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
DaveW

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by DaveW »

Amfibius wrote:Glad you are enjoying it :) I serve mine with a corn, popcorn, avocado, jalapeno, lime, and coriander salad. Ingredients (serves 6):

- 4 ears of corn, microwaved 2 min each
- 1 tomato, 1cm dice
- 1 avocado, 1cm dice
- 1 small red onion, fine dice
- pickled jalapeno pepper, to taste
- 100gm popcorn
- juice of 1-2 limes

Mix all the salad ingredients together except the popcorn and avocado. Add salt to taste. Set aside for 30 mins for the flavours to marry. Drain off excess liquid then toss through popcorn immediately before serving. Note - do not cut avocado too early or it will discolour.
Amfibius thanks heaps for this, it rocked!

I totally missed the 'coriander' part, how much do you normally add?

Awesome feed with the chicken!

DaveW

Proud owner of 'Red Mist' Royal Kamado, 'The Green Imp' Sakura Imperial Kamado 'circa 1970 and a Weber GA that, well....... goes anywhere! :D

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!
Joeka

Post by Joeka »

Cooked some of this peri peri chicken tonight, probably about the 4th time I've done so.

Not sure about other cookers, but for kamado users: preparing the marinade is a useful way of doing something worthwhile as the kamado is cooling down (slowly).

On Saturday, I picked up 2 trays of reasonable but "nearing sell-by-date" red capsicums, for $1.50 a tray, so $3 for 8 large capsicums. After cooking a couple of steaks, the capsicums went on to roast using the residual heat in the kamado.

Half of them were turned into enough peri peri marinade for about 4 chooks (stored in freezer in ziploc bags) and the other half became a kind of lutenica style sauce that should keep in the fridge for up to a year.
greeny03

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by greeny03 »

Thanks for bringing this recipe up! Sounds really good!
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Southern Fried Chicken?

That's fried, right, not BBQed?
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

I think the guy is a spammer. Look at his signature. Post reported.
Image Image Image
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Looks good :D I love me SFC.
If you do a search there is one I posted that is supposed to have cracked the colnels OR.
Its not the same as what we get now but sure as hell is the same what we got in the sixtys, seventys and early eightys.
Took a forum bigger than this one ten years to crack it and then the forum owner dropped off the earth :shock:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Amfibius wrote:I think the guy is a spammer. Look at his signature. Post reported.
Missed it :oops:
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Smokey Mick wrote:
Amfibius wrote:I think the guy is a spammer. Look at his signature. Post reported.
Missed it :oops:
Previous page Smokey Mick, near the bottom, the fried chicken post.
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

Thanks guys - he is OUT OF HERE!
Joeka

Post by Joeka »

Amfibius wrote:Santo, it is impossible to advise you on cooking times because there are too many variables. I don't know how hot your fire is, whether you are using charcoal or briquettes, how many you are going to use, whether you have a Kamado or Weber, or even if it is going to be windy (more wind = bigger fire). All I can say is - COOK TO TEMPERATURE. When your chicken reaches 65C in the thickest part (joint of leg) then it is done.
That's a good guide, but not the entire story. You can cook to lower internal temperatures, if you hold the meat to that temperature longer.

The recommended internal temperatures from government health departments are normally the "instant kill" temperature for dangerous microbes. If you cook to that temperature for even a second, you'll kill anything harmful. But you can kill them just as dead by holding them to a lower temperature for longer.

65C is close enough to the instant kill temperature that it's effectively the same thing. At 65C you'd need to hold the meat there for 5 minutes, but that's how long it will usually take anyway, between noticing that you've reached the temperature, removing it from the BBQ, resting a bit & carving it. If you're also giving it a blast after it reaches 65C to caramelise the outside, then the internal temperature will continue to rise by about 5C anyway, getting you to 70C which has a 41sec kill time.

But you can go lower:

Minimum Pasteurization Times For Selected Meat Temperatures*

Chicken & Turkey With 12% Fat
136°F (57.8°C) 82 min
140 (60.0) 35 min
145 (62.8 ) 14 min
150 (65.6) 5 min
152 (66.7) 3 min
154 (67.8 ) 2 min
156 (68.9) 1 min
158 (70.0) 41 sec
160 (71.1) 27 sec