Peri Peri Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
shayneh2006

Re: Peri Peri Chicken

Post by shayneh2006 »

titch wrote:That would be real corn that comes naturally in its own wrapping.
Cheers Titch. You have taught me something new :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
tfx

Post by tfx »

OK so i have made up the marinade and have some Marylands ready to go for lunch and some spare marinade in a bottle in the fridge. I used 5 tablespoons of salt and the flesh of the lemons as well with pith and seeds removed. Stick blended.

In the meantime i cooked a couple of thigh fillets from the marinade in the Kamado last night while it warmed up for pizza.

PIZZA
Pizza sauce and cheese
Thinly sliced peri peri chicken - easier once cold,
bacon - not in original recipe
pre-caramelised onion (done in a slow wok with olive oil then some butter and brown sugar just as it finishes) and
thinly sliced roast capsicum.

As a topping sauce mixed some of the marinade (that hadn't touched raw chicken) through some whole egg Mayo and put streaks of it over the pizza after it finishes cooking. If you put in on before cooking the egg will crack/scramble and leave an oily mess.

Very very close (if not better) than my wife's favorite Peri Peri pizza from Crust without being stingy on the topping sauce. Picture next time.

If you are making the marinade sauce consider making some of the mayo to have on standby for a dozen uses. It would be really nice with prawns or a chicken burger for example. I could eat it on toast it was that good. Thanks for the OP Beaver and Amfibious. :D :!:
Last edited by tfx on Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tfx

Post by tfx »

Did the chook and loved it. Also had some of the meat on rolls with the mayo mix. Delish
bak

Post by bak »

i'm still cooking this weekly. i've had a few friends over and cooked for them and now when i make the marinade i usually make up a nice big batch to share, totally hooked. i'm going to try it on a whole baked fish over easter. probably try a sweetlip or snapper and will only rub the marinade in around 20mins before cooking. i'll be dreaming about it till next weekend now.
tfx

Post by tfx »

bak wrote:i'm still cooking this weekly. i've had a few friends over and cooked for them and now when i make the marinade i usually make up a nice big batch to share, totally hooked. i'm going to try it on a whole baked fish over easter. probably try a sweetlip or snapper and will only rub the marinade in around 20mins before cooking. i'll be dreaming about it till next weekend now.

HAve you tried it with fish yet. Just wondering how it went.
tfx

Post by tfx »

Still loving this recipe about once a week. I use the flesh of the 2 lemons as well as the juice (seeds removed).

I find that with the little extra lemon you can almost achieve a finished product that is almost like steamed fish in its tenderness. I have been cooking 2 kg batches of what my chicken shop calls thigh chops (thigh fillets with the bone in and skin on one side) then taking a couple to work in foil for reheating in the oven while I buy a few chips to have with it. The smoky smell draws a lot of attention though.

Still curious as to if anyone has had success with fish
Attachments
With some fried rice
With some fried rice
Peri Peri sm.jpg (87.63 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
Jars

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by Jars »

This ones still on my to cook list. Everyone loved the roadside chicken so that's been taking a beating lately. Might give this one a shot next week.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Joeka

Post by Joeka »

Made this tonight & it was superb.

The only difference from the marinade in the recipe, was we didn't have any cayenne pepper & instead used some "Swazi Fire" chilli in a jar that I had sitting around which also substituted for chilli: http://www.chilefoundry.co.uk/2010/01/3 ... ce-review/

Also, the 5 Tsp salt, not 10 ;)

Used a butterflied chicken (organic "ethical" style), marinated about 24 hours in a big ziplock bag in the fridge, turning every now & then.

A bit less than 15 min each side in the kamado, at 360F / 180C at grill level (no heat deflector).

PS - 3/4 of the marinade is left over! The recipe makes enough for about 4 chooks.
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Beaver wrote:I have to admit i took this recipe from another forum.
I have the chicken in the Fridge marinading for 24 hours right now.
Recipe Below and pictures to come

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=946673
- 2 roast capsicums
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp chilli
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 tbsp salt

1. Throw everything into the food processor and blitz until combined:

2. Taste your marinade now. Remember, it is a marinade - you need to make it hotter and saltier than what you would normally feel comfortable with, because the heat and salt will be diluted once you add the chicken. I added enough chilli to nearly burn my tongue off, but the end result was a "sufficient" kick of chilli.

3. Use chicken marylands these have a more intense flavour and they tend not to dry out as much as breast meat when cooked over a BBQ. Make some incisions in the marylands then massage the marinade into the chicken. Leave to marinade for 8 hours. The recipe makes enough marinade for 4kg of chicken. You can freeze unused marinade in a jar.

4. After 8 hours, remove the chicken from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Cook in a Webber using real charcoal (not the briquette stuff). Use some wood chips for smoking, which adds another dimension to the flavour.

5. Cooking time will be approximately 30 minutes. Flip the chicken halfway. Make sure you monitor the internal temperature with a probe thermometer.
Made this on the weekend and the whole family wanted me to thank both parties responsible for it being here. Was so good the eldest soon insisted the few leftovers be turned into sandwiches for him to take and eat after footy training. Now on the list of favourites, don't mind being nagged to make this again.
Thanks
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Its a ripper hey :lol:
Make sure you baste often with marinade to build up a thick coating.
I like doing this with a whole flattend chook. It tends to hold more baste and just looks awsome.
Swap the Cayenne for ancho and you get a new level.

Good stuff on the success :D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Smokey Mick wrote:Its a ripper hey :lol:
Make sure you baste often with marinade to build up a thick coating.
I like doing this with a whole flattend chook. It tends to hold more baste and just looks awsome.
Swap the Cayenne for ancho and you get a new level.

Good stuff on the success :D
Thought about basting but didn't have many beads left and was worried the heat would run out and I'd cop a caning for serving up under cooked chook.
Halved the chook and used a water filled pan as a heat well. Indirect for about an hour and finished over the remaining coals.
Made a big batch of charcoal from ironbark while doing this, any tips on laying out a charcoal snake, planning a brined chook and some marinated lamb ribs for on the weekend.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
chriso

Post by chriso »

Cooked this tonight. Used a tbsp or two of salt though.

It was amazing. Even though had to take it easy on the chili for the wife's benefit. Smoked it for 10 minutes or so, the hickory chunks I have are big and give off a lot of smoke. This gave the occasional bite a hint of smoke which went really well with the marinade.

I've never seen the mrs pick up a whole Maryland and tear into it like she did tonight! She even had a crack at a second one.

Making the marinade only took 15 minutes or so. This will definitely be on regular rotation - next time will be some fillets for chicken burgers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Snow

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by Snow »

I made it for friends last night it was a huge hit! I roasted my own capsicums in the q. Will use less salt next time maybe 1-2 tbs not the 5 because I like to leave the good stuff on the chicken when I cook it. I will be making it again for sure!
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

Beaver wrote:I have to admit i took this recipe from another forum.
I have the chicken in the Fridge marinading for 24 hours right now.
Recipe Below and pictures to come

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=946673
- 2 roast capsicums
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp chilli
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 tbsp salt

1. Throw everything into the food processor and blitz until combined:

2. Taste your marinade now. Remember, it is a marinade - you need to make it hotter and saltier than what you would normally feel comfortable with, because the heat and salt will be diluted once you add the chicken. I added enough chilli to nearly burn my tongue off, but the end result was a "sufficient" kick of chilli.

3. Use chicken marylands these have a more intense flavour and they tend not to dry out as much as breast meat when cooked over a BBQ. Make some incisions in the marylands then massage the marinade into the chicken. Leave to marinade for 8 hours. The recipe makes enough marinade for 4kg of chicken. You can freeze unused marinade in a jar.

4. After 8 hours, remove the chicken from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Cook in a Webber using real charcoal (not the briquette stuff). Use some wood chips for smoking, which adds another dimension to the flavour.

5. Cooking time will be approximately 30 minutes. Flip the chicken halfway. Make sure you monitor the internal temperature with a probe thermometer.
I'm going to try this recipe again but change the cayenne to chipotle and ancho and use an orange and lime and throw some of my Trinidad scorpions and chocolate Douglahs in to give it some heat!!! :twisted: might have to put some TP in the freezer. :lol:
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

Hey NP (and everyone else who is thinking of attempting this recipe) - please IGNORE the original recommendation for 10 tbsp of salt. When I wrote this recipe, I envisaged the marinade being something like a wet brine and people would shake off the marinade before cooking. This recipe has been around for a couple of years now, and I have read a lot of feedback on the recipe. I have found that most people don't get rid of the marinade before cooking and instead like to baste it on. The result is incredibly salty chicken.

As for the chillis, use whatever chilli you like. Real peri-peri chicken only contains Cayenne pepper, olive oil, and salt. My bastardized recipe includes a truckload of everything else because I thought it would go well together. The idea is a balance of sweet, sour, savoury, smokey, and hot. No harm in adjusting the balance whichever way you like.

I now have a more precise recipe with clearer cooking instructions. I recommend using much less salt - safer to use 1 tbsp instead of 10, then add salt after the cook.
Image Image Image