Peri Peri Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Amfibius

Re: Peri Peri Chicken

Post by Amfibius »

Thank you for that Joeka. Nice to see someone quoting science AND giving a reference - I really appreciate that!

I find that when I pull the chicken off, the temperature rises slightly when it is resting. It usually rests for about 10 minutes before I serve anyway - so that should be enough to kill all the nasties :)
Image Image Image
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

I've seen Anthony Bourdain eat seared chicken in Japan because it was so fresh! :shock:
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Amfibius wrote:Thank you for that Joeka. Nice to see someone quoting science AND giving a reference - I really appreciate that!

I find that when I pull the chicken off, the temperature rises slightly when it is resting. It usually rests for about 10 minutes before I serve anyway - so that should be enough to kill all the nasties :)
We all know the science Fib and right back at ya Ive done it, and found its really good in certain circumstances.
But cutting the science to the bone doesnt always mean bbq.
whenever someone asks for science quotes on a backyard forum I get all warm inside :lol:

Two things (and thanks Joeka for the table)

1) How many people do you think can competently and repeatedly process chicken as well as you (or I) can?
2) How many people do you think out there will eat it?

About five or ten percent. I agree with you on the science but I disagree that it is the "way to go" when half the nuff nuffs out there dont know how to safely get a chook from shop to fridge and then to cooker.
I hope you can see my angle here?
I am NOT saying your way is wrong, Just a bit dangerous for the wayward backyarder
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Joeka

Post by Joeka »

NotoriousPIG wrote:I've seen Anthony Bourdain eat seared chicken in Japan because it was so fresh! :shock:
Just a few weeks ago, i ate chicken sashimi in Japan.

Not in a fancy-arse restaurant, but just a regular sort of backstreet bar (we were literally sitting out in a back alley) where they serve small dishes to go with your drinks, just like Japanese tapas. As far as I saw, most bars are basically like that, so this was nothing unusual.

And Smokey Mick - the exact reason that government agencies publicise the "instant kill" temperature is so that the general public don't get confused. It's the "for dummies" version; you can't possibly go wrong. Makes sense from their point of view, if they're interested in public health. Go for overkill, nuke that meat from orbit; it's the only way to be safe!

I think it was elsewhere on the same site, that a chicken factory honcho was explaining the myths about pink meat & clear juices...essentially, you can cook a chicken safely but still have pink meat, but the gen pub don't like that because they've been told that everything must be nuked white, so the processing plants deliberately overcook everything. Because it looks better.
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Joeka wrote:
NotoriousPIG wrote:I've seen Anthony Bourdain eat seared chicken in Japan because it was so fresh! :shock:
Just a few weeks ago, i ate chicken sashimi in Japan.

Not in a fancy-arse restaurant, but just a regular sort of backstreet bar (we were literally sitting out in a back alley) where they serve small dishes to go with your drinks, just like Japanese tapas. As far as I saw, most bars are basically like that, so this was nothing unusual.

And Smokey Mick - the exact reason that government agencies publicise the "instant kill" temperature is so that the general public don't get confused. It's the "for dummies" version; you can't possibly go wrong. Makes sense from their point of view, if they're interested in public health. Go for overkill, nuke that meat from orbit; it's the only way to be safe!

I think it was elsewhere on the same site, that a chicken factory honcho was explaining the myths about pink meat & clear juices...essentially, you can cook a chicken safely but still have pink meat, but the gen pub don't like that because they've been told that everything must be nuked white, so the processing plants deliberately overcook everything. Because it looks better.
Excellent post.
Btw the temps quotes in the latest science I read were even lower.
Sous vide has really pushed the envelope and we are getting some very good I of on temps flowing through.
Good memories, the Japanese bars and chicken sashimi.
When I posted that here years ago it was to the sound of crickets! :mrgreen:
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Temps aside, it is imperative you consider the chicken freshness and processing.
That's why the Japanese can safely do sashimi, they are organised, researched and fastidiously diligent and process impeccably.
I wouldn't t trust supermarket chicken here ever, so knowing the supply chain is also a factor.

The fear factor over pork and chicken is completely unjustified when it comes to a pink hue on properly handled and cooked product at home.
I'm living proof :wink:
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
stephenk

Post by stephenk »

Going back to the recipe in the first post. I tried this tonight, but with half the proportions of Cayenne Pepper, Chilli, and Salt. Marinaded diced chicken breast for nearly 24 hours. The chicken was eaten in wraps with cheese, tomato, and lettuce.

Result - fantastic flavour, but was a lot hotter than expected given the half proportions of spicy stuff. I can only assume this was due to dicing the chicken, an thus the chicken having a larger surface area to absorb more marinade? Next time, I'll halve the spicy stuff again, and add sour cream to the wrap too.
noobbbq

Post by noobbbq »

I just tried this today. Made the marinade on Thursday. Marinated Chicken Maryland pieces last night at 9.30pm. Took it out of the fridge an hour before cooking. Used the foil and trivet method, 20 minutes each side.

End result: Fantastic! Big thumbs up from the family. Could use a bit more heat, so will add more spices next time. The best part: I have 3/4 jar of marinade left!

Thanks for a great recipe. :D
MyRumpMyRumpMyRump

Post by MyRumpMyRumpMyRump »

I just tried the recipe in which i saw the link posted on overclockers forum. I have been trying to perfect my peri peri recipe for a while now and with my own additions this is the best I have come by so far.

I added a few things to the marinade which I feel gives it more depth and something a bit different. Some of the extras I borrowed from the Jamie Oliver peri peri recipe. With the charring of the red capsicums under my grill in the oven I also add half a white or red onion and a couple off green jalapenos and the garlic. Into the blender with all the existing ingredients I also add a couple of coriander roots and some leaves. Some dried ground bay leaves, dried oregano, a splash of white wine vinegar and worcteshire sauce.

I use canola or vegetable oil instead of olive as it refridgerates better and doesn't solidify. I only used 2 tablespoons of salt and after tasting the cooked chook I don't know that it could take any more, next time I would possibly cut back to 1&1\2. My bird did marinate for about 20 hours though and was a steggles which apparently has received some sort of brine treatment.

I do like it hot having spent much time in SEA, I put in 16 Thai birdseye chilli's along with the 2 tablespoons of Cayne Pepper. As the op said you do need a lot of chilli for the flavours to infuse into the bird. I personally could probably add some more Birdseye's and might try about 20 next time. In saying that I must stress I do like it hot!

If any flavour was lacking I would say it would be the tang of the citrus and next time I will try adding the lemons in whole ( without the skin and pith) like the op says on overclockers.

Now to the cooking of the bird which I feel like I haven't truly mastered yet.
As I said before I started with a Steggles whole chicken and butterflied it and removed the rib cage and sternum. Marinated for 20 hours. Onto the Weber kettle with charcoal indirect at about 150c. This was a big chook, so about 45 mins before turning it over on the coals for about 10 mins to try and crisp up the skin.

My problem always seems to be that while ending up with a suculent, moist and juicy bird I can never seem to get the skin crispy and properly rendered. I am not sure if upping the indirect temp is the answer, or maybe I have too much wetness from the marinade on the bird while cooking?

Anyway overall cracking good chicken tonight. The legs and thighs are def the best part of the bird for this style of cooking and am thinking of just using Maryland's next time.

Over and out.
Nath

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by Nath »

^^^ sounds awsome, would love to see some photos! 20 Birdseye chillies for 1 bird!! Think I would pass out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
MyRumpMyRumpMyRump

I plan to make it again this weekend, I'll take some pics but guessing I need to host them somewhere?

I read that by drying your bird off with paper towel and then leaving uncovered in the fridge for 2 hours works for getting crispy skin. Seems a shame to wipe all that beautiful flavour off though. Anybody got experience with this?

I ate the left over breasts tonight and they were so delish! Maryland's or whole bird this weekend, I can't decide.
BarbieCrazy

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by BarbieCrazy »

My way of doing this is different.

You are on the right path with 10+ chillies. I also enjoy it hot.
That is the authentic way to do it.

To do it authentic - marinate it. Do not wipe or dry it. Grill it directly over coals - no indirect grilling.
Nando's have used the authentic method - only they flame grill over gas. And they used to marinate it for 24 hours and still baste it during grilling
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Hi - quick question on this recipe.
I was thinking of modifying it slightly by splitting the marinade in two.
Marinade / Brine - keep the salt content high say around the 4 tablespoon level
Marinade / Baste - drop the salt content to around 1 tablespoon or less.

Marinade the chicken for several hours in the salty mix, then prior to cooking wash off this & replace with the less salty marinade & baste with this while cooking.

Any comments from those with more experience???

I'll be doing this for dinner today - so will see what results.

Thanks
MyRumpMyRumpMyRump

I made it again this weekend, sorry still no photos.

I wanted to make more of a thicker paste this time and waited to add the oil and vinegar to the mix at the end till I got the consistency I wanted. I also added 20 birds eyes this time and it was great! Its not nearly as hot as you think it would be. I think using a thicker marinade aided in not making the chicken too wet and I got crispier skin but still not perfection.

This time I went with Maryland's. While they were good there wasn't as much meat on them as the thighs and legs from the whole chicken I bought last week. I found it was hard to get big Maryland's as they probably come from smaller chickens? They cook quicker as well so I found the bigger whole butterflied bird took on more of a smokey BBQ flavour.

So in my endeavors to make the perfect spicy bird next time what I'm thinking of doing is grabbing a whole brined bird and giving it a dry peri peri\potugese spice rub and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Do it indirect on the coals and then near the end of the cook baste it over the coals with a saucier version of the marinade thinned out with more vinegar, oil and lemon juice.

Anyone got a good spicy dry rub for chicken?
Idofish

Post by Idofish »

This recipe seems to have disappeared, is anyone able to re-post the original recipe? Would love to have a crack as the comments make it sound awesome.