Peri Peri Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
NotoriousPIG

Re: Peri Peri Chicken

Post by NotoriousPIG »

Cheers Fib. I've made it a couple of times each time dropping the salt but I'm going to go with one Tbsp this time. It's easy to add salt to a meal but to get rid of it no chance. :(
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
Windsurf

Post by Windsurf »

Wow. Great looking peri-peri chicken. Must give this a try. Thanks for posting the follow up re salt levels Amphibius. Btw have you ever thought of including sumac to add to the lemony tang?
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

Or maybe even Sichuan pepper? I think I'm going to try this actually. :D
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

I don't think Sichuan pepper would go well at all to be honest. The big flavours from the other peppers would really overpower the Sichuan pepper and leave you with the mouth numbing effect. Not to mention, Sichuan pepper does not behave like some other spices (e.g. Coriander seed) when exposed to the dry heat of a grille - it tends to become bitter and burnt, and much of the delicate aroma is lost. It is for this reason that most Chinese dishes that feature Sichuan pepper are in some kind of wet application, usually after a brief toasting to bring out the flavour.

Windsurf, Sumac is a spice I am not at all familiar with. Perhaps you could give it a try and report back?
Image Image Image
Snow

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by Snow »

I made this again today with 1.5kg of chicken wings for a picnic with a bunch of friends and it was another hit! I reduced the salt to 1tbs and I think this was a great amount. Thanks Amfibius this has become one of my faves!
Shermanator

Post by Shermanator »

Yep I agree. This is one corker of a recipe and pretty adaptable to different tastes I must say. I made it extra blazing hot and added a capful of Stubbs Hickory liquid smoke and a bit of Nandos marinade I had in the hanging around in the cupboard.
A quick taste test proved that this recipe is a definite keeper.
Shermanator

Post by Shermanator »

NotoriousPIG wrote:
Beaver wrote:I have to admit i took this recipe from another forum.
I have the chicken in the Fridge marinading for 24 hours right now.
Recipe Below and pictures to come

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=946673
- 2 roast capsicums
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp chilli
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 10 tbsp salt

1. Throw everything into the food processor and blitz until combined:

2. Taste your marinade now. Remember, it is a marinade - you need to make it hotter and saltier than what you would normally feel comfortable with, because the heat and salt will be diluted once you add the chicken. I added enough chilli to nearly burn my tongue off, but the end result was a "sufficient" kick of chilli.

3. Use chicken marylands these have a more intense flavour and they tend not to dry out as much as breast meat when cooked over a BBQ. Make some incisions in the marylands then massage the marinade into the chicken. Leave to marinade for 8 hours. The recipe makes enough marinade for 4kg of chicken. You can freeze unused marinade in a jar.

4. After 8 hours, remove the chicken from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Cook in a Webber using real charcoal (not the briquette stuff). Use some wood chips for smoking, which adds another dimension to the flavour.

5. Cooking time will be approximately 30 minutes. Flip the chicken halfway. Make sure you monitor the internal temperature with a probe thermometer.
I'm going to try this recipe again but change the cayenne to chipotle and ancho and use an orange and lime and throw some of my Trinidad scorpions and chocolate Douglahs in to give it some heat!!! :twisted: might have to put some TP in the freezer. :lol:
What is ancho (Anchovies??)- and what the hell is Trinidad scorpions and and a Chocolate Douglah? :oops: :shock:
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Hi Shermanator
They are all types off chillies, ancho is the mildest of them, not sure which is the hotter of the other two.
Birds eye or Jalepeno are a good general substitute for medium hot chillies and can be found in the supermarkets.

Captain
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ancho is the word for dried and or smoked poblemo chili. A bit like jalopino in heat in that it can be very mild or quite hot.
Gives a real tex mex flavour for things like taco mince. (Like paprika).
Its worth your sourcing.
Next growing season im going to make myself a years supply
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Shermanator

Post by Shermanator »

Thanks Guys. I guess you learn something everyday. :D . I would like to source this ancho and give it a shot.
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

Here's all the chillies I threw in the sauce. From left to right starting at the back.
Chocolate Douglah, Yellow 7 Pot, Morugah Scorpion, Trinidad Scorpion, Jonah 7 Pot, Habanero, Fatali and a Naga Morich.
Ill be putting this on chicken for lunch at work with the boys. :twisted: I hope someone brings baby wipes!!! :lol:
Chargrilled

Post by Chargrilled »

Ouch!
talisker63

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by talisker63 »

"And burns burns burns, that ring of fire!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Shermanator

Post by Shermanator »

NotoriousPIG wrote:Here's all the chillies I threw in the sauce. From left to right starting at the back.
Chocolate Douglah, Yellow 7 Pot, Morugah Scorpion, Trinidad Scorpion, Jonah 7 Pot, Habanero, Fatali and a Naga Morich.
Ill be putting this on chicken for lunch at work with the boys. :twisted: I hope someone brings baby wipes!!! :lol:
Arrr Thats one heck of an assortment of chillies you have there. I have to do some investigating and see if we have them here in Victoria to buy.
talisker63

Peri Peri Chicken

Post by talisker63 »

She abattoir I saw most if these at a farmers market on Sandringham beach two weeks ago. So they are available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD