Shayne's Szechuan Smoked Duck

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
BBQ&BEERS

Re: Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

camdira wrote:I am no expert here, but I assume that the cooking process will kill any bacteria. Blanching, poaching, smoking and depp frying. Doing this duck on Saturday, along with several other dishes. Photos to follow :)
I’m no expert either (an expert is just a drip under pressure :wink: ) but from what I know food bacteria live and bred in the ranges of 5-60 degrease keep food colder than 5 degrease or hotter than 60 degrease and your fine assuming the food hasn’t already been contaminated, cooking the food and killing the bacteria doesn’t mean you wont get sick. Having said that I know that all Chicken naturally has the Salmonella virus occurring in it. I may have to try Googling this as clearly there is a lot of food prepared this way I just don’t understand how it works. I guess they have been drying food in the sun for thousands of years to. I’m just not game enough to hang a poultry product at room temp for 24 hours without knowing more.
peteru wrote:Don't leave it just sitting on the counter exposed to air at room temp - it's too risky.

If your recipe is compatible with brining, make a big batch of brine and submerge your bird in that. The thermal mass of the brine, plus better heat exchange through the liquid will speed up the thawing process. I'd be probably game to take the bird out of the freezer, get it nude and leave it totally submerged in brine for the first 8-10 hours, then transfer to the fridge to finish the defrost.
I’m not actually talking about defrosting the Duck it’s the 24hr drying technique I’m questioning.
camdira

Post by camdira »

I have found some room in my neighbours fridge so i think it is a nice compromise. Hanging for two days instead of one.

Neighbour has one and I have two.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Put a drip pan under them when roasting, Then colect and refridgerate the fat.
Use another day for roast veg :P
I got one whole cup from a duck I did like this a few weeks ago.
You only need a few teaspoons to coat a tray of roast veg as I also use a bit of EVOO to make it stretch.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

BBQ&BEERS wrote:I’m not actually talking about defrosting the Duck it’s the 24hr drying technique I’m questioning.
I been doing them like that for ages and i still live (so does may family :wink: ). I have never been crook and,,,,,,,,,, the Chinese have been doing it this way for Centuries in climates much hotter than here.

Rleax and give it a go, you wont regret it :wink:

Heres another recent one
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 5&start=15

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Wellllll, itttts, beeeeen, a, gooood whiiiile, since i have cooked this fabulous way of cooking Duck, and after pressure from the missus and kids, will be doing it again over the next few days.

I picked up this $17 frozen 2.4kg bird today, will defrost in the fridge, set to go on the whole hanging thing :wink:

I normally Buy my Ducks supplied by Pepes Game birds in Sydney but this time, want to try "Luv A Duck" to see how they compare :idea:

Cant wait :P

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Nath

Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by Nath »

This duck looks awsome Shayne!
So glad you bumped this post again. It's on the to do list :)

Nath
Nath
talisker63

Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by talisker63 »

Good man, good Dad.
Can't wait to see the pics
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Well i am underway for Duck tomorrow night but i was pretty pissed off when i removed the Duck from its plastic pouch :x :x . With Duck, its all about the skin and to see this, right at the begining of a big process cook was not good for moralle :x

The skin had a sizeable rip between the back leg and lower body :evil:

Just hope it dosent create dramas for me leter on in the cook :( . My guess at this stage is the skin might pull back from the rip when the cooking begins :evil: :evil:

Between now and tomorrow night, i will be thinking of a different plan on how i can drive more of the aromatic spice smoke into the meat. I did however cut my hardwood chips (that i had previously used) finer by hitting some Tassie Oak with the Electric Plane adjacent to the grain. It gave me a bag full of light fluffy Smoking medium :wink:

And on the hang until tomorrow night. Cant wait :P

Shayne

kendoll

Post by kendoll »

Hmmm...I bought a duck from Costco a couple of weeks ago. Not quite sure how to do it yet but mIght have to give some thought to this method.

Ken
Ken
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

kendoll wrote:mmm...I bought a duck from Costco a couple of weeks ago. Not quite sure how to do it yet but mIght have to give some thought to this method
Ken,

I kid you not... and if you go with this recipe..it will blow your mind :lol:

I love everything Asian, especially food,, and love eating the hanging Peking Ducks seen in the window of Asian BBQ stores, but IMHO, Duck cooked like this is so much better.

Try it, and i garuantee you will agree :wink:

Shayne

shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Szechuan smoked duck Served with homemade Shanghai Vegetable Fried Rice with Chinese Sausages

Ingredients for the Shanghai Vegetable Fried Rice with Chinese Sausages

250gr Jasmine Rice (uncooked)
375ml water
250gr Cured Chinese Pork Sausages
3 Tbls Lard (I used Ghee cause it was what I had)
2 Tsp Salt
3 slices of Ginger
Asian greens (use whatever you like) Chopped
Pinch of MSG

Cook the Rice (early) as per my instructions here.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=10850
And after the 1 minute rolling boil, add the Sausages to complete the cook

Heres the Duck after a 24hr+ hang

The smoking medium was thrown in a bag to mix then laid on foil to an A4 page area.

Then sealed in a foil pouch, with ½ dozen holes punched

The Duck ready for its first blanch

Meanwhile, time to light 10x Firebrand Robot Turds, docked of at 80mm lengths.

Back to the Duck for its 2nd blanch in the Master Stock

Now here is where I get smart. The robot turds are the same size in section to allow my GA to sit tightly above. Almost ready to accept my GA.

Back to the Duck in its blanch in the Master Stock (takes 20mins) Image

The GA was placed on the heat and heated up dry for 5 mins. I then placed the smoking pouch in its base. Image

Once it was Smoking, In goes the Duck.

Now, this method has shown best results for a good strong flow of smoke. I gotta try this method with fish.

Done after 20mins

The Duck is then fried on either side in 600ml Vegetable Oil. Make sure its not too hot. Good judge is the browning of a piece of white bread that will brown in 30 seconds

Make the Rice

Heat Ghee, stir fry vegetables, ½ salt and the Ginger. Remove.

Fry the rice, sausages, remaining salt and MSG over intense heat

Add the greens back in to combine

And here’s the rip I was so concerned about. It didn’t cause as much drama as what I anticipated. Ascetically though, it doesn’t look the best

Apart from the cooking process, the base ingredient “LUV A DUCK” had a fantastic amount of meat and had a great flavour. Quality Poultry!!!!!

Shayne

Nath

Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by Nath »

Is it neasecary to dry for 24hrs?? I have a duck (frozen) and would like to give this a shot tomorrow if I don't end up going fishing. However not sure ill have the time to hang and dry prior?

Nath
Nath
Rabika

Post by Rabika »

duck is half price at coles this week deff going to give this a shot!!!
Rabika

Re: Shayne's Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by Rabika »

making this right now cant wait to try it
shayneh2006

Re: Shayne's Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by shayneh2006 »

Rabika wrote:making this right now cant wait to try it
Wonderfull.

Please post some pics of the finished work of art :D

Shayne