Shayne's Szechuan Smoked Duck

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
shayneh2006

Shayne's Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by shayneh2006 »

Hi all,,,

To keep the Game section active, i have decided to add this winner of a recipe. As the Duck was sourced from Pepe's Game Birds, i feel it fits :D

If you love Duck like i do, you owe it to youself to cook it like this. I recently cooked one Peking Style http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=3995 and this one wins hands down and twice on Saturday :lol:

I sourced this recipe from an old Authentic Chinese cook book that i have had for a long time and have often read over this recipe and aborted the desire to give it a go as it was really scarry :shock: :oops:

To do it, there are a lot of steps and it takes time but,,,,,,perservere with it and you will not only impress yourself but also those that try it as well 8) 8)

What you need……

1 Duck (I used a size 13)
2 Tablespoons of Salt
3 Teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns
½ Teaspoon dried Sage
1 ½ Teaspoon ground Ginger
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1.2 litres Chicken stock
1 Tablespoon of 5 spice powder
6 Shallots sliced
6 slices of fresh Ginger
600ml vegetable oil
And for the smoking….
2 Tablespoons of damp tea leaves
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of 5 spice powder
6 Bay leaves
1 cup of hardwood chips/shavings

How to do it……..

Wash and dry the duck with paper towels
Mix together ¾ of the salt, half the Szechuan peppercorns, the sage and sugar. If you have a Mortar and Pestle, break it up a bit :lol:

Rub inside the duck with this mixture,

and then hang in a cool draughty place for at least 24hrs so it all dries. I used a small fan as well to keep the air moving (thanks Captain for the tip :D )

Place your duck in the biggest wok you have. I was lucky as I have two sizes, small and very large. Cover the duck with water and bring to the boil. This is where you really need a high flow wok burner to bring it up fast. There is probably 8 litres of water there and if i was to use my indoor Wok burner on my stove top,, i would be still heating it this time tommorrow :x :x ]
As soon as you get to the boil, pull the Duck out and get rid of the water

Add your stock to the wok along with the remaining Szechuan peppercorns, 5 spice powder, Shallots and Ginger.

Add the Duck and bring back to a boil. Now, you need to back off the heat to a simmer and for 20 minutes, bath the thing in the stock. Roll it a few times and keep spooning the stock over the Duck.

For the Smoking, I used my new Go-Anywhere and it served the purpose well. In a foil tray, I added some heatbeads (then added some more, not pictured)

and in another tray, put the smoking ingredients in it, covered with foil and put it directly over the heat.

Smoke the Duck until all the smoking fuel is gone. Mine took about 30mins.
Then,,,,,,Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until it smokes then back the heat off and the fry the Duck for ten mins, spooning the hot oil over. Turn once during this time.
Brush the Duck with Sesame oil and serve hot or cold
This was my first time at doing this and the results were 100%.

The smoke was mild and the spices penetrated deep into the meat, resulting in an amazing flavour.
If i had to pick form eating this and an Asian Cooked BBQ shop bought one,,,no S**t,, i would choose this.

To sumerise,, better than resteraunt quality and well worth the effort 8) :wink: 8) :wink:

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
bodgy

Re: Szechuan Smoked Duck

Post by bodgy »

Another blue ribbon effort Shayne
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Very nice .. I love duck

Chalky
ImageImage
the best part of a chook is the last bit over the fence
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yep....looking damn fine Shayne!! Four Star!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

What happened to my post :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . It just got up and dissapeared :cry: :cry:

Luckily i have found it :P

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

shayneh2006 wrote:What happened to my post :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . It just got up and dissapeared :cry: :cry:

Luckily i have found it :P

Shayne
Sorry Shayne.
It was admin day so I deleted a few bots/spammers and their posts and moved a few posts to more suitable sections just to tidy it all up a bit.
Gotta do these things sometimes.

Cheers
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

I am going to have another crack at this today and like before, use the Go-Anywhere to smoke it however this time i will use a new trick learnt from the Captain and use an external heat source to do the job.

This duck is just coming up to 24hrs in a hanging position at room temp aided by a desk fan for air circulation :lol:

I have got my sister here for a few days doing the Christmas thing. Last night i hear this almighty scream coming from the laundry,,,,, "sorry sis :oops: :oops: , i forgot to tell you that my Duck was in there" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shayne

Azzaboynt

Post by Azzaboynt »

I just snorted beer through my nose reading that last post. Real LOL moment.

Your duck looks awesome!

Cheers n beers,
Azzaboynt
camdira

Post by camdira »

Mate, that duck looks sensational. Think I will give it a shot. How cool do you reckon your laundry was?

What was the advantage of covering the smoking tray with foil?

And what was the external heat source that the Captain suggested.

Cheers

Cam
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I can't answer to Shaynes Laundry temp, but it's not a heat source that the Captain suggested, it's the concept of using a fan to assist the air dry (and keep the flies away).

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
camdira

Post by camdira »

Thanks for clearing that up! Was scratching my head when I read that. Fly's won't be an issue down here in sunny Melbourne at the moment, so hopefully the fan will do the trick!
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

camdira wrote:What was the advantage of covering the smoking tray with foil?

There is something to be learnt here all the time.

That method in the opening post does the trick but its a lot of messing around. The Captain actually advised/taught me a much better way as a smoking method using the GA.

I place the whole BBQ on top of my Wok Burner and use its external heat/flame to slowley smolder the smoking medium within. It works 10 times better and is easier to settup :wink:

Shayne

BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

I’ve got a duck in the freezer and a friend coming for dinner on Friday so I’m hunting for a recipe, but unfortunately I won’t have time to attempt this one. But I’m curious, given its winter I guess you can get away with it but how could you leave raw meat at room temp for 24 hours and not pick up unwanted bacteria and give yourself food poisoning? I’ve always wonder when ever I read a recipe for Peaking Duck how they get away with it.
camdira

Post by camdira »

I am no expert here, but I assume that the cooking process will kill any bacteria. Blanching, poaching, smoking and depp frying. Doing this duck on Saturday, along with several other dishes. Photos to follow :)
peteru

Post by peteru »

Don't leave it just sitting on the counter exposed to air at room temp - it's too risky.

If your recipe is compatible with brining, make a big batch of brine and submerge your bird in that. The thermal mass of the brine, plus better heat exchange through the liquid will speed up the thawing process. I'd be probably game to take the bird out of the freezer, get it nude and leave it totally submerged in brine for the first 8-10 hours, then transfer to the fridge to finish the defrost.