cooked chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
cordsagain

cooked chicken

Post by cordsagain »

Hi all
It has been a long time since my last post as i have been extremely busy at work enough of my whinging. My question is if I can get some feed back would be greatly recieved.
I cooked a whole chicken tonight on our spirit 210 which hasent been used for some time anyway I have a roasting thing for a chook which stands the chicken up like you would do when doing beer can roast. The weight of the chook was 1.490 kg I left the chook in for 1.5 hours and tested the internal temp in the breast and thick part of legs the temp read 84.5 degrees as I like to cook the chicken over the recomended 83 degrees when we carved the chick the meat in places still had a pinkish colour we have eaten it but does this pinky colour mean that it is not cooked properly?
Thank you for all replies
cords
Chris
Captain Cook

Re: cooked chicken

Post by Captain Cook »

Did you brine the chook. The pink tinge is common when you brine.
cordsagain

Post by cordsagain »

Thank you captain cook
the chicken was already marinated .
cords
chris
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

cordsagain wrote:Thank you captain cook
the chicken was already marinated .
cords
chris
What happens is the salt holds the juices and draws them out from the bone which is why you get it close to the bone. The same happens with ham, It is not so noticeable on lamb and beef.
As long as your temps are within range it's no problem at all. It actually increases the flavour, one of the reasons they say that the meat is sweeter closer to the bone.

Cheers