Capt'ns Chook

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Captain Cook

Capt'ns Chook

Post by Captain Cook »

I developed this recipe to cook on the Genesis but it can be done on anything really, you just need to adjust cooking methods and times.
Cap'ns Chook

Chicken Maryland pieces (drumstick and thigh)

Marinade
1 large shallot
4 cloves of garlic
1 whole lemon (peeled and seeded)
plus Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons peppercorns
1 heaped teaspoon sea salt
2 large chillies (seeded)
4 - 6 stalks of coriander (including leaves)
3 - 4 tablespoons oil

optional
cayenne pepper and or Piri Piri flakes, I do it without as some people can't handle the more intense heat that these produce.

Method
Blend the marinade with a stick blended to a smooth consistency ( about 5 minutes or so.
Spoon/spread the marinade over the chicken completely on both sides and place in a glass bowl, cover and refrigerate for 4 - 6 hours.

Preheat the genesis for 10 minutes with all burners on high. Turn the centre burner to low and the front and rear to j medium.
Place the trivet or wire rack over the centre of the grill and place the chicken skin side up. Spread marinade over any missing bits, cook skin side up for 20 minutes.
Turn chicken over and cook skin side down for 15 minutes. Check for doneness and adjust cooking times as required.

Cheers
Phil aka Captain Cook
Last edited by Captain Cook on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thats a bloody top recipe, My tongue is touching the floor in front of my PC.
Think I will do that this week end if I don't catch any fish on Saturday
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi Phil,

1/ Could this could be done easily on the Q220 using the trivet & foil on 2 strokes under high?
2/ Lemon... you've got one lemon peeled & seeded then the juice of one lemon, is that from the same lemon or another ?
3/ About how many chicken maryland peices will this cover?

I gotta give this one a go..sounds Gooooood!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

It sounds like an infusion between Portuguese and Thai.
to good to let this one slip through
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Davo
2 lemons, Juice from one, whole other one - need the pulp to thicken it a bit.
Yes Q220 need to do it about 4 or 5 strokes down, Check the colour half way through and adjust the heat as required.
This will do 4 pieces.

I will tell you how to do it on the performer in a few weeks. Have a few other dishes planned to do next. I am thinking about a reverse sear for the performer.

Cheers
Phil aka Captain Cook
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Mick
I was thinking about this recipe and you catching fish on the weekend. I think that this would work great as a paste on fish fillets cooked on a griddle or grill sheet. It will be a bit oily so we would need to cut down on the oil to maybe a tablespoon and add a little white wine to thin down the consistency (but not too thin). We need to keep the lemon juice qty the same. and reduce the marinating to no longer than 2 hours so the lemon doen't cook the fish.
Cooking time should be about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 minutes a side - about 325 - 375 F (you will need to check outside colour and doneness and adjust temp and cooking times as required. The fish should be just turning opaque in the cenre of the thickest part. Check by pulling the flakes apart.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
mustud52

Re: Capt'ns Chook

Post by mustud52 »

Bingo. Worked a treat in the kamado.

Getting the hang of having veggies and meat arriving at the same time, and love the Kamado Joe.

Thanks, Captain.
noobbbq

Post by noobbbq »

I tried this today and it was a big hit with the family. Loved it. I did not use any cayene pepper as the kids were going to have it as well. Will save that for next time.

Thanks for a great recipe.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

noobbbq wrote:I tried this today and it was a big hit with the family. Loved it. I did not use any cayene pepper as the kids were going to have it as well. Will save that for next time.

Thanks for a great recipe.
Wow a blast from the past. This is still pretty much a standard in my household.
Only I lean towards sage rather then coriander and nowdays I make lemon salt.

What is great about this recepie is that its what ever the dominant herb is. Coriander, Sage, Sumac or what ever.
All the other ingreedients back up the main herb and is best kept simple so it is infact "Sage lemon chicken" or "Coriander lemen chicken" and so forth
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

might give this a go on the weber, and go with the sage as the wife isnt into coriander at all (I love it)
traveller

Post by traveller »

Gonna try this on the Summit 450 tonight.. Foil underneath the centre burners? Or leave it open?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

traveller wrote:Gonna try this on the Summit 450 tonight.. Foil underneath the centre burners? Or leave it open?
Centre burners off for half the cook then on low as possible for other half turne once with the off and once with them on.

Captain