How to keep cooked chook?

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
DaveZ

How to keep cooked chook?

Post by DaveZ »

I'm getting a few (6) chooks ready for Christmas dinner, but I need to cook them a week ahead of time. What's the best way to keep them in good condition until Christmas dinner? A bit worried that freezing will dry them out. 4 of the chooks will be brined and a couple marinated.

Cheers,
Dave.
Groovy Gorilla

Re: How to keep cooked chook?

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I would worry that fridgeing them for a week is too long and they will taste fridgey
Cryovac and freeze would be your best bet.
If it was me I would change plans and not keep cooked chooks for a week.
chilling while grilling
DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Same. But work schedule won't allow it I'm afraid. Looks like I'll just have to survive with what comes out on the defrost cycle. Shame because I know how damn nice they are freshly cooked.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

You can do this, But its not the droids you are looking for.
There are two ways I would go about it if I was In your shoes.

1) Ham them and proper smoke them till cooked then cryovac, Will be perfect in a week.
2) Confit, Cut into pieces and slow cook in fat. Store in fridge covered in fat.

A few other options, Get (Ask) someone to cook them for you? I did that once while on a 24 hour construction shift one Xmas eve. Got my mate to cook a turkey in my weber kettle that I dropped off to his house.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Actually thought about getting someone else to cook them for me, about 2 hours after I put 4 birds in brine goddammit... What's my end product likely to be like? Smoked cardboard?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

DaveZ wrote:Actually thought about getting someone else to cook them for me, about 2 hours after I put 4 birds in brine goddammit... What's my end product likely to be like? Smoked cardboard?
Are they defrosted birds? If not just continue the brine, Rinse and freeze. Defrost the day before.
If they are defrosted birds I'm afraid you need to cook them Within a few days depending on how cold your fridge is. Maybe three days.
The brine will hold through freezing, Not Ideal but your out of luck my friend. What brine mix/ % did you use?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Chuck a sickie and cook them later in the week
chilling while grilling
DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Brined them, smoked them, then froze them for almost a week. They weren't as juicy as a freshly cooked one but were pretty damn good just the same and got rave reviews so all good :)

Cheers,
Dave.